Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tv....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zener_Diode

Hey.
I have TV that don't work. when I turn it on the black component get worm, what is this component? should it get worm? this componnent take a place after LP before diode bridge.
around the screen there wire (number 1), this wire connected throught the black component, what is this wire? who needs it? what is it's role?
number 2: what is it? what can I adj with thus 2 pots???

thanks a head

Attachments

• tv2 .jpg
    tv2 .jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 215
  • tv1.jpg
    tv1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 198
  • tv3.jpg
    tv3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 228
  • tv4.jpg
    tv4.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 147
There are very high voltages inside your TV. Keep away from it since you don't know anything about it.

Is the worm still alive? Is it big? First you should get rid of it.:D

Zener_Diode said:
Hey.
I have TV that don't work. when I turn it on the black component get worm, what is this component? should it get worm? this componnent take a place after LP before diode bridge.

It's a posistor, it's only function is to deguass the CRT at switch-on, and it's meant to get HOT - not just warm, HOT!. The set will work without it.

around the screen there wire (number 1), this wire connected throught the black component, what is this wire? who needs it? what is it's role?

It's the deguass coil.

number 2: what is it? what can I adj with thus 2 pots???

Presumably you mean the LOPTX? (Line Output Transformer), the top one is the focus, and the bottom one the first anode - you shouldn't adjust ANYTHING unless you know what you're doing.

As Audioguru says, there are high voltages present, and it's no place for random 'fumbling' by complete amateurs.

From the picture, the set looks to be a Thomson chassis?, these are generally badly thought of and very unreliable sets.

Isn't it clear to you yet, from what's been advised? Despite your intentions to fix the tv yourself, don't. You risk a very uncomfortable shock, and could ruin the set further, costing you more money. Take it to a REPUTABLE tv service clinic. Servicing a tv set isn't something that you can stumble your way through.... and for the most part, it's difficult for a good many of us here to accurately diagnose the faulty components over the Internet.

Since TV's have not been manufactured outside of Aisa for the last few decades there are only a small handful of engineers and technicians alive who understand the circuits and components. Those that are left have better things to do then repair old clunkers or help you kill yourself. TV reapir used to be a thriving business when they cost $1000.00 and the minimum wage was $1.25. TV's are now so cheap they are not worth repairing they are just replaced.

If you really want to learn this stuff then I suggest that you find a school where they teach this material, pay your tuition, study hard, and become obsolete like the rest of us.

Zener_Diode said:
I found this TV and I want try to fix it!

So, you found a piece of junk which someone else threw out because it did not work.
You do not have the basic knowledge to identify and understand the operation of the basic components.
The probability of you fixing this TV is very low, even with help from this forum.

JimB

Papabravo said:
TV's are now so cheap they are not worth repairing they are just replaced.
I have fixed a few TVs. Maybe 4.
My latest TV is a Sony and was $1200CAN 8 years ago. Now its horizontal output transistor, two voltage converter transistors and a fusable resistor are blown and I will replace them. I won't pay $300CAN for it to be repaired.

The stores today have TVs the same size (32" CRT) for only $269CAN but they aren't with a Sony Trinitron CRT. People don't pay $300CAN for them to be repaired.

Zener_Diode said:
I want to know fixing all by myself, so I need help.
I found this TV and I want try to fix it!
Then go visit your public library as they often have video servicing books on their shelves. We'll leave you alone while you read , learn, and service the set on your own.

But since you haven't browsed the Internet for the topic at hand , I'll do the leg work, again, for you-

**broken link removed**

http://www.e-repair.co.uk/faults/TVFAULT.HTM

**broken link removed**

http://www.noahtec.com/tvrepair.htm

Last edited:
I'm suprised that people still get their old TVs repaired. I wonder how Nigel actually makes a living when new TVs are normally cheaper than the cost of repairing an old one. :D

Hero999 said:
I'm suprised that people still get their old TVs repaired. I wonder how Nigel actually makes a living when new TVs are normally cheaper than the cost of repairing an old one. :D

It's only cheap crappy TV's which are cheap, a decent set is still a decent price - and with LCD and Plasma prices are back up really high!.

About 10 years ago I was fortunate to be offered a rewarding position within a major university. Back then as a video technician, I saw the decline of service jobs and the other bench techs near me were starting to draw from my shelves of incoming repair jobs. If it wasn't for broadcast/industrial video, camcorders, and large screen tv sets, I too would've had days of little to no repair jobs. I charged $150/hr. for industrial/broadcast servicing and never had companies complain about the price. It wasn't uncommon for me to generate $1500-$1800 per week in repairs with 55% of that as mine. After I took that new position, my former employer closed up shop approx. 3 months later. I admit that I enjoyed the challenge of trying to keep my income high through commission pay, but I also now enjoy the environment and job stability of higher education. As more and more equip. goes the route of SMT components, servicing them will be costly and less appropriate. It's cheaper for the mfgr. to produce 1001 boards for future support of their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back