Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV skipping channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

salviablue

All of a sudden my TV has started cycling through the channels one by one every second or so! When the set is first switched on after a period of inactivity everything is fine, the channels can be changed via the hand set or the switches on the set itself. But after a few minutes the channel cycling begins, usually starting in one direction which then switches to the other direction after around 10 channels or so. If i just leave the channels to cycle on their own accord they go down for around ten channels then back up to 99 through to about channel 10 at which point the damn thing starts to slowly cycle through AV channels! The cycling can be interrupted by pressing a channel on the hand set but not by pressing any switches on the TV (except for the on/off).
To be able to watch any one channel for longer periods than a second, that channel must be continuously depressed for the duration.

A bit of history: I dont know if any of this is relevant but the TV was at my x`s place where she broke it. She kept losing the remote and having to use the buttons on the front of the set she pushed them through into the body! Something, usually a pen, had to be shoved into the button hole to depress the switches for changing channels, volume etc, and she eventually broke the switches causing some kind of short meaning that nothing could be changed on the TV without the remote!
Upon saving the TV from her evil clutches i took it apart and replaced the broken switches with good salvaged ones and since then, and until recently, the TV worked fine.

MAKE AND MODEL: PANASONIC TX-W28R4 QUINTRIX
ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST GRACIOUSLY AND THANKFULLY RECEIVED!

Well the new switches seem to work fine for the few minutes the TV works fine until the gremlin wakes up and starts changing friggin` channels!
Any thing else?
I am usually able to pull things apart and reassemble them a few times before trying to fix one thing breaks something else and before i know the whole thing is consigned to the recycle bin. I am currently on disassemble/reassemble cycle 1, and 4 or 5 is usually the limit! The only problem with leaving the thing in pieces is that the more pieces there are and the longer its left the less chance there is of the thing going back together (due to missing/broken peices, tea spillagesw etc.)!

I still suspect those switches or the foil traces to them. Check for any tiny solder bridges, foil trace issues, etc.

Did you spray the TV with a liquid cleaner recently and it got on the push button switches?

You may try to remove the battery in the remote, if the TV still will change channel. It is not the problem of the remote.
Then you may check any component was broken down near the control IC in TV, spacially E-cap. I think it was caused by some component broken down and that was trigger the autoseach function of TV.
Becareful of the high voltage component when you open the enclosure of TV. U may call serviceman to repair it. Good Lucky

Not necessary, anyway I think they're talking about the buttons actually on the TV rather than the remote control.

I know, but I try to point out any possible failure that make autoscan function operate. forget the remote. Salviablue, you may check any copper track or E cap broken down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back