Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

I am looking at a Samsung 50 inch plasma screen TV. My current CRT TV is crapping out so it is time I go modern. I was told Plasma has best wide display and that Samsung is a reliable brand.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Samsung is a middling brand, reliability is far below Sony, but the 50 inch Samsung Plasma's are very reasonably priced.

If it's not a Full HD set (1080 panel) it won't be very good on HD, 768 pixel LCD's look stunning on 1080 HD, but Plasma's don't.

Early plasmas had issues with loss in picture quality as the display aged, I'm not sure how good current designs are but I haven't really heard any major complaints. LED TV's are starting to hit the market now that have absolutely absurdly high contrast ratios, better than plasma I think.

If it's not a Full HD set (1080 panel) it won't be very good on HD, 768 pixel LCD's look stunning on 1080 HD, but Plasma's don't.
That would depend entirely on the scaling technology used it's not really a factor of the display type itself. I would recommend a 1080P display, however you really need to look out for the quality of the scaling circuitry as there really isn't a lot of 1080 content out there, much of HD TV is still 768 I think, so the scaling method used can be hyper critical as to the actual quality on the content you watch most.

Early plasmas had issues with loss in picture quality as the display aged, I'm not sure how good current designs are but I haven't really heard any major complaints. LED TV's are starting to hit the market now that have absolutely absurdly high contrast ratios, better than plasma I think.

You need to be careful, most 'LED' TV's are simply LCD's, but using LED's for backlighting instead of CCFL's - it makes for a thinner panel.

OLED as a technology still isn't quite here, although it keeps been promised as 'any time now', but they have been saying that for a good number of years :D

That would depend entirely on the scaling technology used it's not really a factor of the display type itself.

It certainly is - Plasma's are generally accepted as superior for SD viewing - this is because (like a CRT) the pixels blur together, and it hides the defects. This severely limits the HD capability, where as LCD have sharp pixels, and don't blur, so show up the defects on SD more than Plasma does, but are superior on HD.

I have a Plasma, and tried an HD box on it - it wasn't impressive enough to be worth bothering with (so I didn't). Part of my job is installing HD boxes, and the only poor sets I've seen have all been Plasma ones - apparently the few CRT HD ones were rubbish as well, but there have hardly any been sold in the UK.

I would recommend a 1080P display, however you really need to look out for the quality of the scaling circuitry as there really isn't a lot of 1080 content out there, much of HD TV is still 768 I think, so the scaling method used can be hyper critical as to the actual quality on the content you watch most.

All broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i, 720P isn't used at all, although the capability is there in the entire system.

Really Nigel? That's wrong of them to say something like that, I'll have to be careful of that kind of stuff. I"ll be in the market for a new TV prolly later this year. Near as I can tell though the couple models I did see were true LED TV's.

As far as the plasma vs LCD I'll have to bring a magnifying glass when I go to the local bigbox electronics store and see what I can see of the pixel structures up close. I forget how much pixel structure can make a difference.

I know HD can be a bit tricky though, because the resolutions aren't compatable so something recording in a proper 1080P format won't look right when converterd to 768 and vs versa, there's aliasing effects and what not. These are bugs that are gonna take years to work out, if they ever even can work them out.

One feature I think that might be good on an HD TV is those ones that are advertised as 200hz. all of the i version of the HD standard are interlaced half frames at twice the rate. The higher refresh rate helps blur those two sub frames together for less possibility of noticing flicker. I think a 1080i on a display that can mix those two frames together faster offset the quality loss compared to 1080p and will capture action video much better.

Last edited:
So Nigel, What TV set would you buy if you had your choice?

Really Nigel? That's wrong of them to say something like that, I'll have to be careful of that kind of stuff. I"ll be in the market for a new TV prolly later this year. Near as I can tell though the couple models I did see were true LED TV's.

Easily identified by the price - four or five times more expensive than other sets - and by fairly small screen sizes.

As far as the plasma vs LCD I'll have to bring a magnifying glass when I go to the local bigbox electronics store and see what I can see of the pixel structures up close. I forget how much pixel structure can make a difference.

I know HD can be a bit tricky though, because the resolutions aren't compatable so something recording in a proper 1080P format won't look right when converterd to 768 and vs versa, there's aliasing effects and what not. These are bugs that are gonna take years to work out, if they ever even can work them out.

No problems at all, 768 pixel sets downscale 1080 perfectly, it's a trivial task - look at thumbnails on your PC, the thumbnails look great, while the full pictures might be crap.

We've got a 'Sony wall' at work - which includes all the range of 32 inch TV's - all fed from the same HD 1080 source. At five feet away you can't tell any difference between the cheapest and the most expensive - it's on HD where you find the improvement, with the dearer sets having better scalers (and better panels as well).

One feature I think that might be good on an HD TV is those ones that are advertised as 200hz. all of the i version of the HD standard are interlaced half frames at twice the rate. The higher refresh rate helps blur those two sub frames together for less possibility of noticing flicker. I think a 1080i on a display that can mix those two frames together faster offset the quality loss compared to 1080p and will capture action video much better.

Interlacing is transmitting a frame as two separate fields, on all LCD's and Plasma sets these are reassembled back together, and displayed as a single frame. Interlacing and Progressive are broadcasting and CRT terms - they don't apply to LCD or Plasma screens.

100Hz (or 120Hz for you) 'makes up' a frame in between successive ones, doubling the number of frames per second to 50 (or 60 for you). 200Hz (240Hz) does the same again, giving 100 (120) frames per second (so only every fourth frame actually existed).

Does 200Hz work? - I'm dubious. Do the sets look good? - yes they do, but I suspect that's because they are good sets rather than 200Hz making a big difference.

I don't know about over there, but over here Panasonic are advertising 600Hz sets - but this is an advertisng con, and doesn't refer to the frame rate (which I believe is 100Hz).

So Nigel, What TV set would you buy if you had your choice?

It's a good question :D

I've NEVER bought a TV.

Currently I've got a 42 inch Hitachi Plasma (cheap Vestel clone), which I'm very pleased with it - although I have to keep bashing it to make it work. I know what's wrong with it (there's a technical bulletin about it) - but it's a question of getting it all disconnected, then removing 4 million back screws.

If I was buying, I'd probably buy a Sony - we sell a LOT of them, so I know how reliable they are, and how well they perform - plus I've got easy access to spares.

If you're buying new, make sure you get a decent warranty as well =\ For as big a purchase as they are either an extended warranty or making sure you specifically claim your TV on your homeowners insurance is a really good idea.

What about this set?

Sony
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Save up to 50% on Sony BRAVIA® HDTV's, Cameras & Camcorders + FS on Orders over $25
Internet Best - Save 50% on the Sony 40" BRAVIA® Z Series HDTV (KDL40Z5100), now just $848.89
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Post deleted.

Last edited:
What about this set?

Sony
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Save up to 50% on Sony BRAVIA® HDTV's, Cameras & Camcorders + FS on Orders over $25
Internet Best - Save 50% on the Sony 40" BRAVIA® Z Series HDTV (KDL40Z5100), now just $848.89
[/FONT]

Z series are really good sets, and 200Hz as well.

Okay, I decided I will get one. Who would know better than you Nigel? Thanks

I just went to sears today first thing I looked at was the only Samsung LED 120hz 1080p

They put some blue ray up on it and wow I don't see differences in most sets ( eye's are to weak ) but there was a big difference to me.

The little sales clerk seemed knowledgeable when I mentioned the Sony BRAVIA she said they were having some trouble with pixels not displaying or something on some sets. Have you herd anything Nigel?

Anyway, the samsung seemed to be a good one. To top it off the thing has about a 1" profile with no real heat issues cool to the touch.

My wife just looked at me saying, not on this planet today. If your going to buy something your going to buy me a new refrigerator.

kv

Last edited:
I just went to sears today first thing I looked at was the only Samsung LED 120hz 1080p

It's NOT an LED set, it's an an LCD with LED back lighting - Samsung have been 'slapped on the wrists' for misleading advertising in the UK.

They put some blue ray up on it and wow I don't see differences in most sets ( eye's are to weak ) but there was a big difference to me.

There's a HUGE difference on any HD LCD set - SD to BluRay is a massive leap (which is why BluRay is used for demonstrations).

In the shop at work we use a combination of BluRay, satellite HD, and satellite SD (terrestrial pictures at work are pretty crappy, and analogue only), so customers can see the differences.

The little sales clerk seemed knowledgeable when I mentioned the Sony BRAVIA she said they were having some trouble with pixels not displaying or something on some sets. Have you herd anything Nigel?

No, and we sell many hundreds of Sony sets - most of which use the same LCD panels as Samsung anyway - both made by S-LCD, a joint venture between Samsung and Sony. I would suggest the sales person probably gets more commisssion on Samsung sales! :D

Incidently, Sony make LED backlit sets as well - presumably using the same panels as Samsung? - but (like most other manufacturers) don't misleadingly advertise them as LED sets.

Incidently, Sony make LED backlit sets as well - presumably using the same panels as Samsung? - but (like most other manufacturers) don't misleadingly advertise them as LED sets.

I haven't been spending any time looking, because Like you I don't spend on such things. But, I need to catch up on this. So, in effect there are or is no true LED sets. If so, is the Sony Bravia the true LED ?

Edit:
Nigel said:
OLED as a technology still isn't quite here, although it keeps been promised as 'any time now', but they have been saying that for a good number of years

Didn't see until now.

Last edited:
It's NOT an LED set, it's an an LCD with LED back lighting - Samsung have been 'slapped on the wrists' for misleading advertising in the UK.
That is true! SAMSUNG put huge flex boards here regarding new 'LED TV'. I thought they're going to be OLED displays first.

I think almost LCD panels are coming from a same manufacturer. I forgot the name. The companies just use the panels.

I suggest a 20" LCD tv. Watch TV cool like a winter ;)

Well I placed the order for the Sony set Nigel, Now I have to get rid of my huge entertainment center designed for a square TV and buy a new piece of furniture. I am excited to check out the internet features on the set. Have you used them at all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back