Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV Repair thread. For CRT TV's only...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
As an old hand at CRT TV repairs, I figured I can give something back to this amazing Forum.

I am going to do my best at keeping all people that choose to fiddle with (old) but (reliable) CRT TV's safe and out of harms way. All I have is my accumulated knowledge built up over around 20 years.

I am going to try and share. Step by step.....

I know that many people use Plasma or LCD these days.....they are designed and built to be disposable once broken or VERY expensive to fix...

Hence roll on a training course of the good old CRT. Reliable, affordable, and in abundance here in Africa.

Tomorrow follows the first lesson to ensure you don't kill yourself when attempting a repair....

While I agree it is a great and interesting topic wouldn't it be served better in of the forums? I just would look for TV Repair (even the great older TVs in repairing consumer electronics.

Just My Take
Ron

I'll ask the moderator to move it.

As intended, I am going to make it as basic as possible to begin with, and move on from there. PART ONE has no test equipment needed here...just basic sense. You will be surprised how many people miss this (including technicians):

PART ONE:
You are watching TV. Your TV packs up. TV is dead.

Check to see if the wall plug the TV is using is actually working. Take a working table lamp from a room in your house/flat and check it on the same plug outlet your TV was on. If your TV needed an adaptor, use the same adaptor to check the working lamp.
If the lamp works...you must investigate further.
Examine the TV power lead for any visible cuts. You will be surprised how often we get sets in for repair with damaged cables causing a “dead set”.
Check the TV's mains plug and make sure that one of the leads has not pulled loose inside it.

PART TWO:
Here, a basic Multimeter is required (either Digital or Analogue) of your choice.

Remove the TV's mains plug from the power outlet.
Remove the TV's back cover.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE THE TV YET!!!!

You will see a thickish cable running from the chassis to the top of the back of the tube. The cable has a round rubber pad attached to it which is clipped onto the tube.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT TO TOUCH OR REMOVE THIS PAD FROM THE TUBE.

CRT's are energised up to around 27 Thousand Volts when the TV is working/on. And often retain much of that Voltage when the TV is OFF. Leave alone for now. We will get to that part much later. I need to keep you alive to walk you through this little step by step guide.. No shocking surprises here.

More tomorrow. Work in progress....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back