Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV-PC-Other Stereo Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

germaniohm

I have two stereo amplifiers used for amplifying televisions, computers, hand held cd players and anything else you could think of. I tore the guts out of these two units with the intention of creating two COMPACT amplifiers that I can install under my utility table that I use for my "base of operations" (that's where I have my pc, phone, t.v. cable convertor box, tape recorders, FAX machine, calculator, photocopier etc). I notice in both of these amplifiers a metal plate bolt and nutted to a what I am assuming are transistors which in turn are clearly soldered to the electrical circuitry. At the point where the plate(s) are nut and bolted there are thin plastic gaskets which are coated with what looks like the office supply product "White Out". Will anyone tell me the purpose of these metal plates etc? Thank you.

The metal plates are called heatsinks, the plastic is an insultator to isolate the parts. The 'white-out' is silicon thermal transfer grease... All help to keep the parts from over heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back