Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV MUTE Finger Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloist

Hello, I was just thinking about a TV mute finger ring so that a person wouldn't have to fumble around with a remote when a commercial came on. After looking into buying one I see that one has already been patented but is not being made or is not yet for sale anywhere. Does anyone know where to find such a device?

Also: after looking into it, I found that an earlier electronic device automatically detected commercials and shut your TV down to a blank screen which some people didn't like so it didn't fly. I wonder if there was is anyway to make one so that it will automatically play your favorite music cd or photo album when a commercial comes on?

I know nothing about electronics but I know that someone could get mighty rich, fast if they came up with one of these that worked. If anyone decides to, I'd like to place my order right now.

A commercial avoidance device has already been invented. It's call a TiVo (DVR). I seldom watch a program live anymore. I start recording it, then jump in about 15 minutes or so later which allows me to skip through all the commercials.

There was a piece on Public Radio recently about how advertisers are tailoring their commercials so they look like the show you were TiVo'ing. Scenery...actors...what ever. Then, when you try to skip the commercials you're tricked into starting up in what you think is the show, but is actually a commercial.

Ken

Thanks for the replies

I have heard of TIVO but have had mixed responses to my request about it.
And as the another poster mentioned, they are starting to find ways around it.

I have been muting them for years but it makes watching a movie more work than it's worth. Maybe it's time to just give up on TV.

nothing like 4000 channels of nothing anyway, im working on a gun that will shut a tv off when fired......

im working on a gun that will shut a tv off when fired......

It has already been done, its called a shotgun, the problem is turning the tv back on again, but still it is guaranteed to kill the adds. :D

Pete.

Hehehehehe. Right. Someone once told me that there was more on TV when we had 10 channels. We pay 65 a month now for about 2 good channels, but the freaking commercials are killing me. Don't know why I pay 65 bucks and still am forced to watch an onslaught of commercials. Plus, if we do get tivo thats another 20 bucks a month. Tv these day's aint worth 80 bucks a month, commercials or no commercials. I would pay $20-50 bucks for a way to mute them out of my life though. The gun idea works for me but then the wife would use it to shoot me. She's funny like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back