Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tv/monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a simple cable that goes from his video card to a TV, of course he has a special video card, but im sure that you can get a connector that goes straight from the video cable out (dont know the correct name) to a regular TV cable.

As Sebi said there are converter boxes to do that but they are expensive. Look at Google "VGA to Scart" or "VGA to RGB", I think I already found something interesting years ago.

Yes, it's not a DIY project, and you can buy them at 'reasonable' prices, certainly FAR less than you could build one.

However, you should be aware of how poor the picture will be, and how low the resolution - 640x480 is usually as good as they go, and a TV set won't even display that resolution properly!.

zachtheterrible, Nigel Goodwin - I have on board video card in my laptop and when I connect it to a TV(sony trinitron) (using S-video cable) I can use it as a normal computer screen and I can very well read and write using the TV screen

Sorry but I dont have the info abt my video card right now

Instruite :)

instruite said:
zachtheterrible, Nigel Goodwin - I have on board video card in my laptop and when I connect it to a TV(sony trinitron) (using S-video cable) I can use it as a normal computer screen and I can very well read and write using the TV screen

Sorry but I dont have the info abt my video card right now

But it's far inferior to a proper monitor, and only works in low resolutions, TV tubes are FAR different than monitor tubes - TV ones have MUCH lower resolution, but MUCH higher brightness levels. Obvious really!, consider the size and relative numbers of holes in the shadow mask!.

I can believe it that Instruite can see computer generated text clearly on his TV. :lol:

I also have a Sony TV with its Trinitron CRT and it is connected with a S-video cable to my digital cable-TV box. The Trinitron doesn't have an old-fashioned "shadow mask with holes in it". Instead, it has an aperature grille made of many very fine wires. The wires don't block the cathode ray nearly as much as a shadow mask resulting in greater brightness. With greater brightness and no shadow mask, many more phosphor stripes are placed on the screen for much improved resolution over a shadow mask screen. I am glad that Sony also included a very wideband video amp in the TV so that when it is used as a monitor like Instruite and I do, it is very, very clear. :lol:

Previously I posted about the amazing clarity improvement of my TV when I switched from analog cable-TV using its tuner, to digital cable-TV using an S-Video cable. It is almost like high-definition now. :lol:

Of course, the resolution isn't nearly the 1152 X 864 that my LCD monitor gives me. :wink:

audioguru said:
I can believe it that Instruite can see computer generated text clearly on his TV. :lol:

I also have a Sony TV with its Trinitron CRT and it is connected with a S-video cable to my digital cable-TV box. The Trinitron doesn't have an old-fashioned "shadow mask with holes in it". Instead, it has an aperature grille made of many very fine wires. The wires don't block the cathode ray nearly as much as a shadow mask resulting in greater brightness. With greater brightness and no shadow mask, many more phosphor stripes are placed on the screen for much improved resolution over a shadow mask screen. I am glad that Sony also included a very wideband video amp in the TV so that when it is used as a monitor like Instruite and I do, it is very, very clear. :lol:

It's still just a TV tube, a Trinitron tube is no different in that a monitor Trinitron tube has a much finer aperature grill than a TV tube, in order to give the much higher resolution - and, by the same reasoning, gives reduced brightness.

The relatively small number of wires in the grill of a Trinitron TV CRT restrict the resolution just as a shadowmask does.

Trinitron monitors also have the annoying two horizontal wires plainly visible that support the grill wires - I'm using a 17 inch Sony monitor at the moment!. The wires on a TV are far less visible.

Previously I posted about the amazing clarity improvement of my TV when I switched from analog cable-TV using its tuner, to digital cable-TV using an S-Video cable. It is almost like high-definition now. :lol:

If you have the option try RGB, it's that much better again than S-Video, although it's unlikely your cable TV connection is of sufficient quality to make a great deal of difference - most broadcasters don't use RGB quality VCR's or cameras.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The relatively small number of wires in the grill of a Trinitron TV CRT restrict the resolution just as a shadowmask does.
Most definitions of Trinitron on the web mention increased sharpness and brightness over a shadow-mask CRT.
But you are also correct, a site says that the highest resolution and very expensive CRT's have a shadow-mask.

most broadcasters don't use RGB quality VCR's or cameras.
Broadcasters over here make and record everything in high-definition that is also clearly visible.

How come, err, why do movies from the '70's and '80's look so blurry (I think they are film, not old videotape) when The Wizard of Oz made in colour in 1939 looks so sharp? Maybe the producer invested lots of $$$$$ (sorry my keyboard doesn't have a font for quid). :lol:

audioguru said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Most definitions of Trinitron on the web mention increased sharpness and brightness over a shadow-mask CRT.
But you are also correct, a site says that the highest resolution and very expensive CRT's have a shadow-mask.

As you say (and I agree) the Trinitron system tends to give slightly higher brightness than a shadow mask, but at the cost of mechanical stability - try hitting the front of a trinitron CRT, the picture goes crazy as the thin wires rattle!. This also causes the nasty deguassing noise when you turn a Sony TV on!.

But both types of CRT are manufactured for their specific use, and TV tubes (of either type) have far lower resolution, and far higher brightness, than monitor CRT's.

most broadcasters don't use RGB quality VCR's or cameras.
Broadcasters over here make and record everything in high-definition that is also clearly visible.

Unfortunately it's recorded in MPEG, so throws much of the quality away :lol:

How come, err, why do movies from the '70's and '80's look so blurry (I think they are film, not old videotape) when The Wizard of Oz made in colour in 1939 looks so sharp? Maybe the producer invested lots of $$$$$ (sorry my keyboard doesn't have a font for quid). :lol:

The movies involved probably come off videotape?, or a small format (cheaper!) cine film - 'proper' films use 35mm film, which is where the stills camera format came from.

Some of the classic British TV series, like 'The Avengers' and 'The Prisoner' still look stunning today, simply because they were made on film, more modern stuff made on VCR looks rubbish in comparison.

Incidently, a number of years ago I spent a day at 'Yorkshire TV Studios', where they filmed 'The Darling Buds Of May' - not a program I have ever watched, but it was made on film - simply to give better quality!.

Hi Nigel,
Yeah, new technology has its pros and cons. I listen to FM stereo in my car frequently. I got upset that my favourite station compressed and limited the songs too much. So I went inside my home and was in the middle of typing a nasy e-mail to the station when I heard the same station clearly without noticeable compression on my stereo. OOOps!

My car radio must have DSP or something giving excessive compression. I wish I could bypass it. The average Joe can turn it up to max and it doesn't distort (the first couple of beats distort until the slow compressor catches up). Its CD player sounds fine.:lol:

Can I uncompress the millions of MP3's that I found back to ordinary CD's? My car's CD doesn't play MP3's. :cry:

Can I uncompress the millions of MP3's that I found back to ordinary CD's? My car's CD doesn't play MP3's.

You can burn the mp3s as regular audio discs, but they won't "uncompress", giving you the good audio quality that they once had when they were on an audio disc.

As far as i know an MP3 takes information out of the audio disc, suppressing certain frequencies that some say don't make any difference in what we hear (although some can tell the difference). An audio disc consists of ALL the frequencies that were heard when the music was played, creating an EXACT copy.

Anyway, if you have any CD burning program, just make an audio disc and select your MP3 files to burn as audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back