Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV IR Remote Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Spellman

Hello Everyone.

TV IR Remotes are much more complex than one might first think.

I need to find an inexpensive learning TV IR remote. One that will
allow me to define the command to be send and the modulation
techneque to send it in.

Has any one seen anything like that out there?

Mike

A few years back I had a Palm III which I used to control my TV using its IR port. It got stolen so I don't have the software anymore but you might be able to pick one up (or something similar) and quickly hack together some code for it. You could probably even still download software to do this for it. Note: the range is pathetic compared to real TV remotes; mostly I just did it to surprise friends. :)

Torben

I have seen a few remotes in the past had an IR receiver built into them as well. To learn a new command, you would put the remote into "learn mode" and then point the remote you want to copy at it and push the button on the remote that you want it to learn.

It would effectively record the IR pattern and replay it later. This probably isnt quite as sophisticated as what you're looking for, but it could work. I've also heard of more expensive remotes that let you program new codes into them via USB, not sure specifcally what the remote was called though.

Com Genius remotes are made in Germany, and you upload the data to them via a serial link from a PC - pretty useful remotes, as they duplicate all the functions (unlike One For All type remotes).

I will Check out both the Pic Controler section and Com Genius Thanks guys,

It is a learning remote I need.
From a deploment point of view if I need 300 remotes to work with Sony TVs and an Amino STB, Set Top Box, it still easier to set up one a teach the others from it than to program 300 remote by punching 50 buttons on each.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back