Turning a TV into a video feed link

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how best to describe my latest crack-pot project idea, but I'll give it a go!

Right, it’s basically a video phone (visual and audio) but through a standard TV. I'm aware that it isn’t legal or all that easy to transmit on the regular TV channel frequencies. But would it be possible to make Tx/Rx modules for the two line feeds (audio and video) and somehow integrate it into a TV so that you could tune your TV into it and then communicate in real time with someone else with a similar setup as if it was a normal TV channel? I'm thinking of doing this over a distance of about 15 miles max, and mostly at night.

I hope that was clear enough, any help or guidance would be most appreciated!

A good starting place would be here...
http://www.discovercircuits.com/T/transmitter.htm
and these links may be usefull...
http://www.estss.com/DEMO/HW/XMITTER/

The use of a computer (with telephone modem)at either end of the proposed system might be a better way of doing it. Instead of plugging into a commercial phone line connect to a transmitter..
**broken link removed**

I am not entirely sure if webcam / messenger software will work, but windows does support virtual private networks,but cant find anything about windows working as a video phone on a direct dial link.

As a last thought, have you considerd a laser rather than RF ?

It's clear, but as you already know it's seriously illegal in the UK - 15 miles is a hell of a long way for wideband TV transmissions, you would need a great deal of power to do it - chances of been caught would be pretty high. Potential penalties include confiscation of equipment (where EVERYTHING connected is confiscated - I know people it's happened to!), unlimited fines, and jail time!.

Apparently begging and pleading to the judge helps, one guy I know got less for his third offence than his first two - simply because of his attitude to the judge - last I heard he had never got any jail time (so far).

You would also be talking a lot of money to do it - certainly more than a TV!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…