Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turning a Controller into a Wireless Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

christoph

I am looking to create a wireless Sega Dreamcast
controller. The main difficulty in doing this is the programming
necessary for a fully functional vmu/rumble controller.

I am not knowledgeable in the realm of programming so I am looking to find
out what needs to be done exactly so I can then commission the proper
person to complete this task for me. (if this is you PM me please!)

So, the controller is going to be modded from a regular stock Dreamcast controller into a fully functional RF wireless controller.

The most difficult place to start is choosing a proper microcontroller.

I am seeking a Microcontroller (the smaller the better) with hardware specifications that will allow reliable Maple Bus operation.

Must be compatible with RF Wireless devices.

Here is the most info I can find:

Dreamcast Programming - Controllers

Help is seriously appreciated. I need to figure this out once and for all!

Last edited:
I would strongly advise against using RF communications in a controller as you can sometimes get seriously fined if you use a frequency that has been protected or is against the law to use. Check your local laws for radio communication.

I would say that IR is much easier to implement and much more cost effective. However the receiver must be in the line of sight of the sender. You can make a receiving unit that you can place on top/by the side of the TV to combat this

You will need a micro-controller to encode and decode the data. The receiving end is the only place where the Dream cast protocol needs to be used for communication.

My choice for a micro-controller would be to use a PIC chip. These are well documented and a link to their website can be found here. These can be easily programmed and the choices of compilers to use are virtually endless. For a simple Icon orientated language that doesn't need high amount of programming knowledge look at Great Cow Graphical BASIC. Or if you want a more complicated compiler look at **broken link removed** where ASM programming is needed. There are many tutorials on this and a good example is here

If you want more help on programming or even just more info just say :)

Dave

Last edited:
I'm in the USA, Is that still applicable. How are there so many different RF controllers that exist out there...

The Dreamcast controller is much more of a difficult and ambitious project that I am just curious about at the moment and am attempting to compile information.

What I am looking to do short term is:

I want to mod/create a wireless Sega Saturn controller using replaceable batteries and RF Wireless.

I want it to be set up like the Gamecube Wavebird controller with a module to plug into the system with multiple switches on it for up to 10 controllers (sega saturn bomberman baby).

Anyone seen this done? Have any ideas? Know where I should start? I assume buy a RF reciever/transmitter and then adapt it to 10 different frequencies. Then connect it to the board in the correct way and mod the controller casing!

I just need help with the RF wireless stuff and maybe a controller schematic!

Last edited:
For household RF communications people use a standard frequency band at 2.4ghz. this band is usable for anyone. However RF transceivers which have an aerial and an RF chip are quite big.

This is an example of a transceiver. you will need to read the data-sheet to learn how to interface it. you will need two of these -one for the receiver and one for the sender. I'll see if i can make you a simple controller schematic but please say what's on the controller (e.g how many buttons, how many d pads, how many variable knobs)

Dave

Last edited:
1 D Pad, 1 Start button, 6 buttons on controller, not including 2 shoulder pads (8 buttons)

Thanks for the reply!

**broken link removed**

I will see what i can do. I may be a while though due to other things happening :)

Last edited:
there is a problem using that controller because the dreamcast has an anlog stick and a d pad but that controller only has a dpad. also what button would you like me to use as the fourth button

Is anyone still working on this?

I've decided to do a similar project, Lets not re-invent the wheel though. The XBOX 360 has wireless controllers layed out very similar to the DC, so I want to make a maple bus adaptor that uses the XBOX360 USB dongle. There's a website where the XBOX dongles protocol has been mapped and as you know, one dongle will support all 4 controllers. Also, after having a quick look at the DC maplebus protocol, I think it might be possible to have all 4 controllers working using only the player one socket on the DC?

So, The idea is to have the XBOX USB dongle plugged into a USB socket on the PIC Chip adaptor I want to build. This then plugs into the player 1 socket on the DC. I'm hoping enough power can be supplied from the DC to power it (like with the playstation and Saturn pad adaptors). Also, like the existing pad adaptors, it would be good in you could plug a VMU in. If I need to hack up a controller for the controller plug then I'll have a spare VMU plug anyway.

I've had a look at microchips website but the amount of different PIC Chips is astounding! I've previously programmed Motorola Micro controllers but I wanted to move onto something a little more up to date and widespread. Any advice on What PIC to chose or anyone wants to work with me, feel free to get in touch. I'm right at the beginning of this adventure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back