Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turn on at Negative Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdiddie

Use signal wire to determine output

Here is my problem; I have a PWM signal that controls a negative trigger solid state relay to control voltage to a light source.

When the PWM signal is On-Low, it shows 0.0V and triggers the relay. At Off-High it shows 12.8V

I need an ic that will monitor the PWM signal / voltage. When input is 0.0V then output 0.0V to complete circuit. If input voltage is anything else; i.e. 1V - 11V then there will be no output. In essence I want to stop varible voltage from passing to the relay, turning it into a standard on at 0V off at 12.8V signal.

Would something like this work? NC7SZ384 - 1-Bit Low Power Bus Switch

Thanks

Last edited:
As I said on the other forum.

Please post a schematic.

Is this what you want?
>0 output high
= 0 output low

How near zero does the voltage need to be?

There has to be a switching threshold, it could be 0V but in order for the output to be off, the input would need to be below 0V i.e. a negative voltage. So if you want 0V I suggest settling for just a bit above 0V i.e 0.1V.

Why use PWM? Sounds more like On Off keying. Agree with Hero, post a diagram.

This is actually the circuit for an automobile's daytime running lights. The wire I have circled in red is what I am trying to monitor for negative ground.

When the head lights are off the wire shows 12.8V.
DRL mode is at 70%Duty cycle so - approx 9V
When the head lights are full power wire shows approx 0.0V

So I can get by with

>0.5 output high
= 0.5 output low

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
This circuit detects voltages above 0.6V.

It has some hysteresis for noise immunity.

Attachments

• Discrete zero..PNG
    Discrete zero..PNG
    613 bytes · Views: 168
After reading my original post I guess I did clearly state what kinda circuit I need. Although my signal wire I will be monitoring is PWM, I think that is a non issue. Sorry for the inconvenience, hope I can still get a solution.

Here is what the circuit needs to consist of.

1) Signal wire
2) Battery(+) Voltage wire; (as this is automobile voltage will be between 12.5V - 14.8V)
3) Ground (I would assume!)

Here is what I need to accomplish:
Monitor "signal wire" ~~~> Voltage on this wire will be between 0.035V to 14.8(or = B+)

If signal voltage is > ≈ .75-1.0V Then
output = B+ Voltage

Else output = signal voltage

Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Tried a comparator yet?

After reading my original post I guess I did clearly state what kinda circuit I need. Although my signal wire I will be monitoring is PWM, I think that is a non issue. Sorry for the inconvenience, hope I can still get a solution.

Here is what the circuit needs to consist of.

1) Signal wire
2) Battery(+) Voltage wire; (as this is automobile voltage will be between 12.5V - 14.8V)
3) Ground (I would assume!)

Here is what I need to accomplish:
Monitor "signal wire" ~~~> Voltage on this wire will be between 0.035V to 14.8(or = B+)

If signal voltage is > ≈ .75-1.0V Then
output = B+ Voltage

Else output = signal voltage

Does this make sense?

Sorry I don't know what you mean?

What's the B+ voltage?

It's PWM, the voltage will either be nearly 0V or nearly +V. If you want to change that to different voltages, use a level shifting similar to what I posted previously.

If you want to convert the PWM to a DC voltage, use a low pass filter.

If you want to trigger an output when the PWM is above or below a certain duty cycle, add a comparator to the output of the low pass filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back