Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turn Cd player to MP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkfish

Hi freinds.
I have a Pioneer Car steareo Its a CD player and this player cannot play Mp3 cd or VCD/DVC cds,
so i want to turn my cd player to MP3 player. so please say me how to convert this.

Regards.

What you are proposing is very likely impossible. In order to add MP3 functionality to a player you need to support it with decoding hardware, software, or both.

Unless Pioneer have written updated firmware for your unit to add MP3 capability, you're onto a loser.

You might consider buying a portable MP3 player and interfacing to it?

Brian

Go out and buy one. If you can't afford one you DEFINITELY can't afford to convert one.
Trying to convert a normal CD player to an MP3 player is like going down to your local grease monkey repair shop and asking him to upgrade the engine in your car to a turbine power plant. It's something you just don't do.

Interfacing an MP3 player to the system is trivial, very few people use the auxiliary inputs available on car systems, so yours is likely free. A quick lookup in your radio manual and a little soldering to the wire harness could easily give you an 1/8th inch audio jack in your dash with very little work.

I agree, this is his best hope for anything close to MP3 functionality with the player. As an alternative solution though, you can buy small FM transmitters specifically for this purpose. You then transmit your portable MP3 player's output and tune into it with your radio.

It's actually illegal in some countries though. Probably not a problem unless you get stopped and the officer wants to get arsey with you.

Personally I prefer Sceadwian's solution as it's neater and more reliable. But an FM transmitter has the advantage of being easier to install.

Brian

I've always liked the idea of having an 1/8th audio jack in the dash, it's better fidelity than either an FM transmitter or a tape adapter. And as long as you have the repair manual for your car taking the dash apart is really not that bad. Ripping a hole and mounting an 1/8th jack can't be any harder than when I turned a free drive bay on my computer into an external front mounted serial port, and it looks stock. Also gives you the ability to let anyone else that has an ipod or player to play their music easily.

thanks for Reply all you guys.
and two years befor i was in Sri Lanka. in sri lankan Electronic market available small Hardware(Chinese Make VCD Bord) unit. we can fix to that board to any of Cd player then it will work like a Video cd.
and now iam In Qatar so i try to buy any board like that but unfortunally that kind of boards not available here.
thats why iam asking here if anyone have any idea or any shematic for MP3 or VCD solution for CD player.

Regards.

Sceadwian said:
I've always liked the idea of having an 1/8th audio jack in the dash, it's better fidelity than either an FM transmitter or a tape adapter. And as long as you have the repair manual for your car taking the dash apart is really not that bad. Ripping a hole and mounting an 1/8th jack can't be any harder than when I turned a free drive bay on my computer into an external front mounted serial port, and it looks stock. Also gives you the ability to let anyone else that has an ipod or player to play their music easily.

My old Sharp radio/cassette had a 3.5mm jack socket on the front (which I never used), now I want to plug my GPS/MP3 player in, and my Fiat/Blaupunkt stereo doesn't have a socket :(

It does have a setting for a boot mounted multi-CD player, which connects via a multi-pin connector on the back - I'm considering taking it out to see if I can use that?, but I think it needs some communication back from the boot unit?.

Scope it, I'm relatively sure it's just a regular AV out jack with a couple extra ground/nc wires and a serial interface line or two for the control line. Unless there's a disable/enable control on the interface that requires a serial signal to enable you should be able to feed it audio from a line out signal without trouble. Worth looking into, could be SPDIF or optical style digital interface with a control line, but that's not exactly common car audio junket.

I found schematics online for my in car cassette player's CD player control jack. It just takes some digging around. I soldered a harness onto it that ends into a male 3.5mm plug that I can plug into any headphone jack.

However, I believe the CD player had a pretty high level output to the head unit since when I press the CD button I have to crank the volume up just to hear my MP3 player. So I went back to the FM transmitter until I get a new head unit. There are CD/MP3 players out there with the 3.5mm jack on the faceplate for around $120.

Might be your MP3 player? Any MP3 player on the market should be able to drive line/CD audio inputs easily. Perhaps the remaining CD control lines were set to attentunate the signal, likley it's own volume control. If you bypassed it or shorted it you're gonn have to turn the MP3 player all the way up to get anything.

Sceadwian said:
Might be your MP3 player? Any MP3 player on the market should be able to drive line/CD audio inputs easily. Perhaps the remaining CD control lines were set to attentunate the signal, likley it's own volume control. If you bypassed it or shorted it you're gonn have to turn the MP3 player all the way up to get anything.
I've tried three different players/brands with the same result. Even with the volume on the players all the way up it's still way lower than the radio. No biggie though as the head unit is from the late 1990s and it's time to replace it.

sharkfish said:
thanks for Reply all you guys.
and two years befor i was in Sri Lanka. in sri lankan Electronic market available small Hardware(Chinese Make VCD Bord) unit. we can fix to that board to any of Cd player then it will work like a Video cd.
and now iam In Qatar so i try to buy any board like that but unfortunally that kind of boards not available here.
thats why iam asking here if anyone have any idea or any shematic for MP3 or VCD solution for CD player.

Regards.

You are verymuch near your goal-- there are MP3 adapter boards which could be retrofitted and we find them in India .
You may appeciate the technology absolosence, and it would be rather cheaper to go for 1 to 5 Gb MP3 palyesr based on SD cards. you can load your favorites and play them connecting the audio to your amplifier inthe car. as and you get bored of the songs you can always change them to new ones.

no moving parts-- no jerks while travelling-- these are few added benifits. I hope now a days mp3and FM radio with USB support ate DAM cheap.Thus any effort to amke our existing machines mooded - may satisfy oneslf but is not woth- in my personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back