Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tuning Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try to be more specific about what you are looking for next time.

If you want a useful answer, go to a forum that is dedicated to the type of car you wish to tune and look for some help there.

ECU electronics differ between make / model / year. You're not going to make a ROM chip that works with all of them. Some factory ECU's are just not reasonably easy to modify, and some are really easy.

So the answer to your question, is, yes, we can help you, if you have a specific question about the electronics, but your going to get better answers in car performance forums.

I wanth to make 3 types of tuning chips .. I mean one for an Opel Astra G , one for BMW and one for VW
is this posible?

well for tuning, the only things you can do to make it more powerful (just tuning only) is adjusting the fuel air ratio and adjusting the ignition timing.

Fuel air is easy with oxygen sensors in the exhaust, but ignition timing is different...

NO I wanth to make tuning Chip or in the worse case power box
And I think the tuning Chip is not usualy a big deal is just an eprom but from were can I take the software :( can anybody help me please:(
**broken link removed**

Or if nobody can help me with the tuning chip it will be allright to help with a power box :) thats something like the picture from the bottom part of the page **broken link removed**

please help

Use google or something to find BMW, Opal, and VW forums. You will get better answers there. In some cases it's just a matter of getting an EPROM burner, and the software to modify the firmware and burn it. In many cases it's not that easy. Newer ECU's tend to have the ROM built into the processor, rather than a seperate EPROM, which makes it far more difficult. Some new ECU's can even just be flashed.

No-one here is going to give you an easy answer for what you are looking for. Do more research.

I have no idea what the PowerBox is, but it sounds like it's a piggyback that modifies MAP and trigger sensor data before it goes into the ECU. If you want to make something like that, you'll need a decent level of electronics knowledge. Far more than it sounds like you have.

PCBElectronic said:
but I need the software is anybody able to right it ? the software for the tuning chip

It's NOT usually software, it's usually just data used by the ECU, which sets the operating conditions for the engine.

In order to decide what to change you need to know EXACTLY what every byte in the EPROM does, and how changes will affect it. I would suggest your only option is to buy a ready programmed EPROM for your engine, it might be expensive, but a GREAT deal of work went in to creating it!.

I presume you are aware that such changes will almost certainly greatly reduce the life of your engine?.

I don't wanth to buy one I wanth to lern to do it myself ... because I wanth to start kind like a business here in Romania

PCBElectronic said:
I don't wanth to buy one I wanth to lern to do it myself ... because I wanth to start kind like a business here in Romania

In that case reverse engineer the existing engine management system, that's how it's done.

Nigel Goodwin said:
PCBElectronic said:

In that case reverse engineer the existing engine management system, that's how it's done.
:?: :roll:

So, you want to be spoon fed the entire process?

It sounds like you don't even have the basics of how these things work, or even electronics in general. You know why people charge for chip tuning? Because not everyone off the street can make one just asking a quick question on a forum.

If you have little to no electronics background, either give it up until you do, or start learning that first.

There is no general answer anyone can give you here that's going to step you through reverse engineering EPROM code in ECU's, rewritting, and reburning your own. Especially when they are all quite different and run on different hardware. Even the same manufacturer will have many types of ECU hardware platforms.

This is a site dedicated to Honda ECU's, which I work with. It will give you an idea of what's generally needed. https://www.pgmfi.org/

after a loong searching of informations i foun out that i can change the soft from the ecu with a special interface that works on obd
this proces is also called flash or remapping or chiptuning via obd
does anybody have a schematic of that kind of interface ?

Nigel Goodwin said:
I presume you are aware that such changes will almost certainly greatly reduce the life of your engine?.

Nah, There's a VW center close to me and they chip much cars (TDI's for the most part, cause chipping a petrol car is pretty pointless as it only brings a few hp)

They've got plenty of +25hp chipped cars with 500 000km on the counter and still going strong...

Many makes just make 1 engine wich can deliver top of the range power and they just 'downtune' it for the cheaper , slower models...

It costs them far less to design and produce 1 engine and just have 4 diffirent programs.

I don't know what happens if you're chipping the top of range model offcourse, i guess then you'll be pushing it beyond it's design limits ?

PCBElectronic said:
after a loong searching of informations i foun out that i can change the soft from the ecu with a special interface that works on obd
this proces is also called flash or remapping or chiptuning via obd
does anybody have a schematic of that kind of interface ?
:roll:

To make your own data for the “chip” you need a lot of equipment and know how. Measuring equipment and a dyno for a start, these things will cost about US $ 750 000 if of good quality. The know how can only be achieved by experience. With normal aspirated engines there are no big power gains to be made 5 – 8 % but on turbo charged engines you can get 50% or more, but you must know exactly what you are doing. There are no shortcuts if you want to do this properly, if you try any shortcuts you’ll end up destroying engines one after another. So, if you don’t know everything there is to know about engines and the electronics around it perhaps you should try some other business.

Chip Tuning

This article is the answer of my problem because I am so worried about my new car cause I think I bought a wrong Chip tuning because i notice that the speed and sometimes it will accelerate automatically and it is really different as before, hope you can help me with it or suggest a chip tuning that will fit to my 2010 BMW M3 2-door.

Last edited:
GReddy

There's your "tuning chip"

It's pretty obvious from your posts that you dont have the skills or intellect to build one yourself, so just buy one and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back