Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tuner or Receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tblo163

I'm not a newbie,when it comes to electronic circuitry,however,I'm puzzled by feedback I'm getting from the AVS4YOU support team,re-their Video recorder program,I have connected a Digi Fusion free view box,to my computer via a skart-RCA,cable,which gives me the option of either S-Video or Composite,and the appropiate co-axial aerial connections,I can view & record all 98 UK Channels,picture quallity is excellent.However they insist that this CANNNOT be done,because my digi-box is a receiver,& not a tuner.I was allways under the impression that a receiver had to have a built in tuner to enable variable frequencies.I intend to give them some serious feedback,as soon as someone on this forum can confirm that a set top box is a combined receiver & tuner.The problem is,that they say I can't receive TV Signals this way,yet I CAN ! Good luck to all Terry.

.I was allways under the impression that a receiver had to have a built in tuner to enable variable frequencies.
Correct. If it doesn't have a tuner, it's not a receiver it's a monitor which is basically a screen waiting for somebody to connect a signal it can display. If you are talking about set top box converters, they all have tuners to receive a specific set of signals and they output a signal at a single frequency that the TV can understand (like channel 3/4 in USA converters).

The problem is,that they say I can't receive TV Signals this way,yet I CAN !
Yeah, I can remember a few dozen times in the last 40 years people telling me something was impossible, and my reply was always:

"I wish you had told me that before I did it...."

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for that info (I knew I was right,just thought I'd missed something)
Nice to hear from you again!

A tuner is a little metal box, a component, and completely useless with out all the rest of the electronics around it.

What you have is a 'set-top box', which could quite corretly be called a 'receiver', but generally isn't.

I suspect what's confusing them, and us - as you haven't mentioned it here either - is what you're connecting your Digifusion to. You can't connect it directly to a PC, you need a video input on the PC, which usually is part of a TUNER card (hence them saying you need a tuner). You must have such an input card in order to connect your Digifusion to, which is just providing a video outout signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back