Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TTP223 Erratic Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomsCircuit

I made this circuit to help me out when im testing my swimming pools chemistry.
it agitates the water in the beaker so while i add reagent it blends it. Its a big help because its difficult to keep one eye on the beaker swirling and the other eye on the dropper and then i would need a third eye to observe the results.
How it works:
A premade ttp223 circuit is used to trip a 5V relay coil. that engages a 12V fan that has been altered. Blades removed, magnets added. When i place the beaker over the modified fan a pair of round BB style magnets reacts to the magnets beneath and rotates thus agitating the water.
My power source is 12V. i use a buck converter to bring the voltage down to 5.4v for the TTP and the relay.
The problem:
power it up all good. touch the TTP pad and it works as expected. Touch the pad again and it turns off. Sometimes it turns back on right after i turn it off. If i touch the pad again it turns off only to turn back on as i remove my finger away from the pad. I can stop this behavior if i hold my finger over the pad for a few seconds to turn it off. So thats my work around. Hover finger for a brief time and behavior is normal.
I initially had the TTP223 sensor mounted directly on the circuit board. it was next to the buck converter. When in that location the ttp would go berserk. Like a dog chasing its own tail it would (without interaction from me) toggle on and off rapidly and without pattern. I could not stop it. Since relocating it farther away from the rest of the circuit its behavior is more tame but still odd. All i can offer in my research of the TTP chip is it re calibrates itself. It may have something to do with it. I appreciate any ideas on what / why this may be happening. The schematic (pic) is just what i did with the exception of adding the buck converter and a second led. (470R resistor, red led, connected to 12v)

Attachments

• ttp223-pinout.png
    ttp223-pinout.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 20210626_111109.jpg
    20210626_111109.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 249
  • Tuch-sensor-ttp223-jumper-configuration.jpg
    Tuch-sensor-ttp223-jumper-configuration.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 478
  • Schematic_Touch-Switch-TTP223(1).png
    Schematic_Touch-Switch-TTP223(1).png
    96.2 KB · Views: 438
  • ttp223-pinout.png
    ttp223-pinout.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 290
  • buck converter.png
    buck converter.png
    805.6 KB · Views: 220
How do you have the TTP223 configured?
I see multiple things that could cause problems.

Last edited:
A=OPEN
B=SHORT

I see you used the "Open Drain" output.
1. Its not apparent whether the output is a P type or N type open drain.
either way, when the drain in not conducting, the output will float.
2. I see no sensitivity cap used.

I looked up open drain. It says a pull up resistor is needed.
The Transistor is a BC547 so that would be NPN (if that is what your referring to)
I have some 0.1 uF 100nF on order. that did not occur to me that sensitivity could be it.
If you could help overcome the open drain condition ill apply a fix. Thank you in advance.

Correction: Pin 2 is VSS, Pin 1 is Q output.
However, its not clear what passive parts are actually on the SunRom Board.
For example, is C3 on the board? Not sure what i'm looking at..

Here is board schematic by SUNROM

1624728227872.png

Another piece of the puzzle.. :)

According to the datasheet, you are using the Q output. The open drain output is not available in this version of the TTP223 chip. See below.

1624729119026.png

You might try connecting a 20pf cap, from the touch pad input to ground, to lower sensitivity.
The 20pf cap would then be connected in parallel with the existing 30pf and would total 50pf which is the max value (if I can believe the datasheet)

Ok that doesn't match the top image in the previous post.

can you take a photo of both sides of the TTP223 board you have and post?

ive ordered 106 caps. about 2 weeks. if you remember my SMT project ive also ordered SMT versions of 104, 106 caps so ill be modifying that project as well. thank you so much for your insight.

ive ordered 106 caps. about 2 weeks. if you remember my SMT project ive also ordered SMT versions of 104, 106 caps so ill be modifying that project as well. thank you so much for your insight.

I hop those are values and not quatities...:hilarious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back