Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ttl Voltage comparator for +/- 7V

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwurmfeld

I need to detect the presence (with a TTL logic level output) of two separate power supply voltages, +7V and -7V. Is there a dual comparator IC I can use that will give me a TTL output for a negative/positive comparison?

What would the input circuit look like for this? Would a LM311 be a good choice? Would you pull up the output of the comparator to +5V?

The only thing I know about analog is: "Ground is where you grow Roses!"

Thanks in advance for the help.

David

The LM311 can be cranky and difficult to stabilize. I would suggest the LM393 Dual or the LM339 Quad. Make sure that any circuit you design observes the requirement that the input signals be within the common mode range of the device. You can satisfy the requirement by powering the comparators from +9V and -9V to measure values in the range [-7V .. +7V]

Here ya go. Connect the ground pins from your +/-7V supplies, and from the 5V logic supply, to the ground (the little triangles) on this circuit.

Attachments

• 7V good detector.PNG
    7V good detector.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 210
Thanks for the quick reply, I noticed in Ron's schematic that the power to the LM339 is single ended to +5V, am I reading that correctly, or do I need to power it with +/- 9V as "PapaBravo" suggests? Again, thanks for the circuit, I'll try it today.

David

dwurmfeld said:
Thanks for the quick reply, I noticed in Ron's schematic that the power to the LM339 is single ended to +5V, am I reading that correctly, or do I need to power it with +/- 9V as "PapaBravo" suggests? Again, thanks for the circuit, I'll try it today.

David
You can use a single +5V supply, because R6 and R8 level shift the -7V input into the common mode range of the comparator.

Hello!

I tried the circuit, and have the following results:

+7V - on at 3.6V, off at 4.0V
-7V - on at 2.9V, off at 3.3V

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the circuit?

Thanks.

David

dwurmfeld said:
I tried the circuit, and have the following results:

+7V - on at 3.6V, off at 4.0V
-7V - on at 2.9V, off at 3.3V

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the circuit?

That's fine if you need to check the presence of ±7 V. BTW did you mean
-7V - on at -2.9V, off at -3.3V ?

If the supply voltages are present, the outputs of the comparators are high (+5V). If they're not present, R8 and R7 force the output low.

Placing the threshold voltages at about 3 or 4 V with hysteresis gives you some margin for errors caused by tolerances+noise.

You are correct of course, I was not looking at it properly. I understand the circuit now, and I indeed need it only to detect the presense (or absense) of +/-7 volts.

Thanks again for the great circuit idea.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back