Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TSSOP close to SSOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

OK i have a MAX3002 which is TSSOP and i can get some SSOP adapters.

The MAX3002 has .65mm pitch as shown here:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/21-0066PDF.pdf

I want to get a SSOP adapter to convert this TSSOP from DipMicro:
SSOP20 Adapter - dipmicro electronics

Both are .65 Spacing(pitch). Do you think its wise? Or at least it will work ok. The numbers suggest yes but experience is always good input.

Also:
SSOP20: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/sot266-1.pdf
TSSOP20: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/sot360-1.pdf

Last edited:
i think so... lead pitch, qty, and package size are the primary things. I think QFN is the one with out leads but with ext contacts, then you get into the BGA crap that everything is going to these days. I am not sure but is did hear a rumor that it was drifting back
toward external contact styles since BGAs don't do RoHS well if at all.

Dan

BGAs suck. I had to replace 2 wireless G usb cards because they got warm or my house is warm and they got loose and are half way off and burned out. They SUCK! excuse my language. I rather do a 100pin QFP then a BGA

From WIKI:
"A disadvantage of BGAs, however, is that the solder balls cannot flex (non-compliant) in the way that longer leads can. As with all surface mount devices, bending, due to a difference in Coefficient of thermal expansion between PCB substrate & BGA (thermal stress), or flexing & vibration (mechanical stress) can cause the solder joints to fracture."

I would never use them and frown on companies that do.

BGAs suck. I had to replace 2 wireless G usb cards because they got warm or my house is warm and they got loose and are half way off and burned out. They SUCK! excuse my language. I rather do a 100pin QFP then a BGA

From WIKI:
"A disadvantage of BGAs, however, is that the solder balls cannot flex (non-compliant) in the way that longer leads can. As with all surface mount devices, bending, due to a difference in Coefficient of thermal expansion between PCB substrate & BGA (thermal stress), or flexing & vibration (mechanical stress) can cause the solder joints to fracture."

I would never use them and frown on companies that do.
That is only have the trouble with them... you need an xray machine to check the joints. There are other noncomplying packages that are reasonable to work with, the new chipFETs for instance.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back