Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

trying to understand a comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaz

from what i remember in school, a comparator basically has 2 inputs, 1 which is the reference voltage, and the other comes from somewhere else and whichever is higher, is the voltage used for the next part in the circuit. is it that easy though? where would a comparator be used? i guess i'm wondering if i've ever dealt with a comparator and not realized it.

Yes, simply if the voltage on the + input is higher than the - input the output is HI, otherwise it is LO. ONe does not have to be a fixed reference- both voltages can be changing or whatever.

THey are 1-bit ADCs and they are used to build every type of ADC. Sometimes just one or sometimes a bunch. Like a flash ADC is really just a bunch of comparators each with a different voltage reference to account for each "step" in voltage.

Comparators are also used to detect when an analog voltage crosses zero like in an AC line when things might need to happen like switching. THey are also used to detect overvoltage or overcurrent for motor electronics.

They're used everywhere.

from what i remember in school, a comparator basically has 2 inputs, 1 which is the reference voltage, and the other comes from somewhere else and whichever is higher, is the voltage used for the next part in the circuit. is it that easy though? where would a comparator be used? i guess i'm wondering if i've ever dealt with a comparator and not realized it.

thats a very good concept of a one bit adc dk..

Hi Snaz,Welcome to the forum.Comparators can be defined as devices that change their o/p according to the voltage difference b/w their i/ps as said by dknu..

there is a very good info(theoritical) about comparators and here is one of the application notes of maxim which were pointed out by Eric.It shows how to design a comparator.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Have you Googled "comparator"? The first page of the search results has several good sites with basic information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back