Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to operate LED lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abicash

Hi

I have designed an inverter to light up a CFL lamp from a 12v battery.
The frequency of the o/p is 25khz @ 110v . The CFL lamp lights up nicely with this voltage and frequency , since its ballast handles this.
I have a LED Lamp > ,i will be trying to run this lamp on the same inverter.Will the same waveform work with this lamp? does anyone know what is the topology of the converter in the LED lamp?

Please get back
Thanks and regards

Those lamps are internally ballasted and expect 120 volts 60hz AC. There is no detailed information on the drive circuitry the lamp uses so it may work at 24khz, or it may burn out or cease to function at all, try it see what happens, but don't complain if the bulb dies.

Those lamps are internally ballasted and expect 120 volts 60hz AC. There is no detailed information on the drive circuitry the lamp uses so it may work at 24khz, or it may burn out or cease to function at all, try it see what happens, but don't complain if the bulb dies.

Well, there is this published description (from Philips), which I believe is actually used in some CFLs out there. Since the LED lamp undoubtedly uses some type of SMPS, it could be similar to this. In which case, the only things I see on the input side are 4 rectifier diodes, an electrolytic capacitor and a choke (820 µH). Everything downstream of this is DC. So would this be adversely affected by 24KHz?

All this is speculation, of course, but maybe we can do it in an educated way ...

Here is a schematic of one. Looks like just a 12 volt regulator. Might work.

**broken link removed**

Thanks all for replies
I may power it up today with that inverter.
I dont have a spare for now but if this lamp dies ,i will prolly get another one..

Thanks again

Longer term operation may be slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back