Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to make a massive switchbox..help, I'm new

Status
Not open for further replies.

VXxed

Hey everybody. I'm new here, and this is the first place on the internet I've come for help with this.

I'm trying to make a rather large switchbox because I've got a lot of electronics sitting behind my tv that I want to interconnect and such. So, here's a list of things

Output:
  • Xbox 360
  • ---Red, blue, green component cables
  • ---L+R Audio
  • ---Optical Audio
  • PS2
  • ---Component video
  • ---L+R Audios
  • Wii
  • ---Component video
  • ---L+R Audio
  • PC
  • ---VGA video
  • ---L+R Audio
  • ---Surround Sound audio (motherboard does all the channels. I think I may as well send this to the amp, but how? Optical?)
  • ---Optical audio

Input:
  • TV
  • ---Component Video
  • ---VGA video
  • ---L+R Audio
  • Monitor
  • ---VGA
  • Amp
  • ---L+R
  • ---Optical (I don't have an amp that does this YET, but I will...)
  • Stereo headphones
  • Other stereo device (my chair has speakers, sometimes I use it)

Additionals:
  • Power switch to unplug EVERYTHING from the wall. Want to put this between the power strip(s) and the walljack, use it as a way to turn everything off and save power because of those "always on" devices, or for other purposes as of yet undecided
  • Two headphone jacks so that no matter the audio destination is, people would be able to plug their headphones in and listen in to what's going on
  • USB jacks that go to my computer and direct to a power outlet so that people can charge their stuff, or not have to crawl behind my tower to plug stuff in
  • Power and Reset buttons for my tower

That's about all that I can think of...I'm hoping to make this all power-less switching, because that seems much easier to make for someone who knows diddly about circuitry. I just can't find a switch that can take 3 lines and route them to 3 lines. If you can tell me ANYTHING about this, please, please do ^^

This includes the basics, like how to ground etc. In the meanwhile I'm going to MS Paint schematics for the audio, since that doesn't seem as hard to pull off as the component video.

Thanks in advance :D

After looking around, I think that the only thing even close to what I need for the component video switching is a 4 pole 3 throw switch (yay research, I learned the nomenclature for this stuff), but I can't find anything with 3+ poles and 3 throws.

Wait. How do I route the grounding for this all? Would I need another pole per wire, or just a single pole that connects to all of the wires?

Be careful - there is lots of potential for groundloops in this. Also, any switching of 240V should be made by someone who has experience both with wiringi and 240V mains - safety issues especially.

I would use a headphone wich for each headphone so either may select any source. As for switching th rest, its a job that requires a litle thought. I have seen similar boxes at audio shops to switch between generic appliances. I am sure it would handle your games, TV and amp as these are hardly unusual. You might spend a similar amount as you would on components and come away with a product that isn't just safe and well designed, but offers more than what you are askikng for.

I believe in buildikng my own stuff but there are times when products on th market are simply cheaper or better and worth th expense. Look into this before committing youself. And, again, beware the 240V. One mistake can be very expensive, and maybe fatal.

Hi VXxed,

You can find switches in just about any configuration you want. Some are just more expensive, bigger, and harder to find. ;)

I built a foosball scoreboard a couple of years back which used a 4P3T rotary switch to select the game type. Examples of some rather large rotary switches can be seen here: https://www.surplussales.com/switches/SWSealed-1.html Those are probably overkill for what you need though, but they *are* explosion-proof, which is always nice. :)

Anyway, if you update your User CP to list where you live, maybe someone can suggest an appropriate store or vendor for you to check out for something you can use.

Good luck,

Torben

@b rett2010: What's a groundloop, firstly? Second, if wiring a main on-off switch to that entire jack is dangerous, then I'll simply pass on that. T'was just an idle thought. Don't want my room to catch fire :p
Other than that, I can't think of any fire issues, since this will all just be routing without any electrical input outside of what the consoles send across their wires. But I can't find anything that does it without power, and to the extent that I want it to. Simplicity, that's what I'm looking for here :p

@Torben: Unfortunately, those switches are pretty costly...a friend of mine pointed me at Mouser, so that's going to help me out a lot. Except what's annoying is that I don't always understand the schematics...and that the 3P3T sliders are tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back