Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to make a led light!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duecrew

I am trying to make a Red Led light with 120 red 5volt lights. I'm new to led's and am having difficulty figuring out how I'm going to do this. I figure I need to go in Parallel with resistors.....I'm also wanting to do a a constant power supply from a wall-wart. I need help with the wiring diagram and what resistors I might need. I trying to make a high light output grow light and am trying to get the output of a 600 hps or 1000 hps light. If anyone can give me some help and guide me it would be appreciated greatly. By the way thank you in advanced

I am trying to make a Red Led light with 120 red 5volt lights. I'm new to led's and am having difficulty figuring out how I'm going to do this. I figure I need to go in Parallel with resistors.....I'm also wanting to do a a constant power supply from a wall-wart. I need help with the wiring diagram and what resistors I might need. I trying to make a high light output grow light and am trying to get the output of a 600 hps or 1000 hps light. If anyone can give me some help and guide me it would be appreciated greatly. By the way thank you in advanced

hi

you can arrange this circuit like this-

1.JPG

but if you need blinking of your LED, you will have to make an oscillator circuit or use 555 timer...

Thank you for the diagram.... But this makes me even more confused. I need to be talked to like I'm a 6 yr old trying to build this. It will be my first ever project of this kind. I am a finish carpenter by trade and make things out of wood. So I need it done in a layman's terms. I have to admit....I feel very uneducated on the subject and need some kind of tutorial of sorts. Thanks again for the help in this in advanced.

Hi duecrew,

a grow light does not only contain red, but also white and blue light. Each colour must be controlled for the desired intensity (dimmer) to make a grow light.

I guess 120 LEDs will be quite a bit of overkill for a grow light.

Connecting 120 LEDs in parallel with appropriate current limiting resistors will require a power supply capable of at least 2.4A current. There are more efficient ways to do that.

I don't want to bother you with details since electronics is not your profession, but to receive a good suggestion you should post the data of the LEDs you have planned for your project, such as LED foward voltage and current and the number of LEDs you plan to use.

Regards

Boncuk

This is only a secondary light for my Metal Halide lights. They are 1000w. I wanted to do some experments with the added red during flowering. Metal halide only bring in the whites and blues of day light and HPS (high pressure sodium) bring the reds and oranges. I use metal halide for the my garden. But I have added flowers to the indoor garden this year for my wife to play around with. So I want to add the red spectrum. I did not want to invest in new lights because of the cost. But I do want to try the LED. The cost of a Led grow light is in the the $2000.00 range.....thats just a bit much for a trail. Plus its winter and Im bored.......And it will make my wife happy....and if wife is happy I will be happy!!! Thats her words.....and probable true. I did find a wizard that helps me

**broken link removed**

I know I will need a power supply but dont know what kind I should use. I have many wall-warts that range from 5 to 12....

CAUTION! I tried that wizard; it is brain-dead! Here is an example: This solution is unusable because with the 1Ω current limiting resistor, the current through the LEDs would increase very rapidly if the supply voltage increased slightly above 12V.

To make the circuit more tolerant of input voltage fluctuations, the voltage drop across the current limiting resistor should be at least 3V, which means it should have a minimum resistance of E/I = 3/0.02 = 150Ω, which means you cannot drive 5 LeDS in-series from 12V. It would take two strings, with three LeDS in one and two in the other.

Attachments

• Wizard.png
    Wizard.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Running around in circles with your project.

You didn't post electrical data for the LEDs you are going to use.

Boncuk

Take it easy on the guy; he did mention that he doesn't know a lot about this stuff.

Here's a trailer-park solution: Go to home depot and buy a red LED rope light. If you need to control the angle that the LEDs are pointing, or group them closer together, you can very carefully cut the outer layer of insulation off using a box cutter. These strands run off of line voltage, and are fairly cheap as well as fairly bright. It's just an idea, I hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back