Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to make a heating element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ideasbyjake

So im trying to create a heating element that can be powered by a small (preferably a small battery) power supply. The power supply will be connected to a heating coil which will be wrapped around an object. My goal is to get it to heat to around 100 degrees Celsius in under a couple minutes and last for more than 5 minutes (though more preferably 10+). I really dont know much about how this process would actually work, but want to simply know if it would be possible first.

Ive attached a picture of what im trying to create, to help clarify my idea im trying to express. Thanks for taking the time to scope out the idea and thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_20130822_231117_436.jpg
    IMG_20130822_231117_436.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 219
Hi jake,

Batteries don't last long that way (5-10 minutes and to the trash I'd say). But if you want to test the heating capability of wires with shorting the terminals of batteries, yes it would heat up about right. And be careful in case of rupture of the battery casing, which releases dangerous chemicals.

What's the purpose?

Cheers.
Vizier87.

It depends on how large the thing you're heating is, and how fast the heat is being lost into the atmosphere.

Obviously it can be done for small objects using a small cell and a heating element. An everyday example is a battery-powered torch, which heats the filament to perhaps 3000 degrees in less than a second.

For larger power requirements, the AA is more capable and economical than the AAA or 9V batteries.

It depends on how large the thing you're heating is, and how fast the heat is being lost into the atmosphere.

Obviously it can be done for small objects using a small cell and a heating element. An everyday example is a battery-powered torch, which heats the filament to perhaps 3000 degrees in less than a second.

For larger power requirements, the AA is more capable and economical than the AAA or 9V batteries.

I suppose he might be thinking of a heater rather than a torch. But that's interesting info there. Did you mean the one from a tungsten light bulb?

I suppose he might be thinking of a heater rather than a torch. But that's interesting info there. Did you mean the one from a tungsten light bulb?
He is obviously referring to a heater. A filament light bulb relies on heating a very small thermal mass to a high temperature, which is why I mentioned it. The larger the thermal mass, the longer it takes to heat up or cool down. The lower the thermal resistance between the object and the surroundings, the higher the input energy has to be to maintain a specific temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back