Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to have an idea on the 3 phase system ( mainly motor application )

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodz

HELLO EVERYBODY.

I am right now doing some studies on the 3 phase systems and mainly motors using that and it seems really complex compared to mono-phase systems ( to me at least ) .

So since am just studying this at home i only have single phase system , but some friends told me that its possible to add 2 other phases using an AC capacitor configuration .

What calculation should i make to choose the right capacitance value with the possibility to have a COS fi closer to 1 ?
Why the motor i got is called asynchronous type ?

Figure-A17.jpg

Am on a 230 VAC line and this is the motor's data :

D : Delta configuration
Y : Star configuration

Operating voltages :

50 Hz -D/Y : 230v/400v - 0.25 Kw
60 Hz -D/Y : 275v/480v - 0.25 Kw

Operating currents :

50 Hz-D/Y : 1.4A/0.83A
60 Hz-D/Y : 1.4A/0.82A

- COS fi : 0.73/0.7

- 1320/1660 min^(-1)

Resistance of each bobbin :
51 ohms

Last edited:
You could use a transformer to get three phase in high torque applications.

You can run a small (personally had good results up to 0.75kW) 3-phase motor on a single phase net by simply adding a running capacitor.

C = 70 x kW (formula for 230/400V 50Hz 3-phase motors to run on a 230V 50Hz single phase supply)

For example a 0.37kW motor would require a 25µF cap.

You'll have to keep in mind that starting torque drops dramatically, but for pumps or other low starting torque applications it is a simple and effective solution (so forget about running an 3-phase air compressor).

See if this helps;

Last edited:
Thanks i will look for a cap ,but will i still notice a differnce when i change from star to delta ? i guess star should have less current than delta configuration

Thanks i will look for a cap ,but will i still notice a differnce when i change from star to delta ? i guess star should have less current than delta configuration
This will not work on a star configuration, It must be delta to get the cap trick to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back