Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to get the LED to blink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iawia

Hey all,

I am trying to get my LED to blink. I have been learning to use the pic microcontrollers. I am trying to use c language. I am using the xc8 compiler. The program builds successfully, I select the programmer (Pic2 Kit), program the chip, and release it.

The LED stays unlit for 10 seconds and then turns on. It is suppose to blink! can anyone see any errors or improper setup, coding, etc? Please help.

Code:
#include <xc.h>

__CONFIG(MCLRE_OFF & CP_OFF & WDTE_OFF & OSC_IntRC);	
                     //Master clear off, code protection off, watch dog timer off
#define _XTAL_FREQ 4000000	// 4 Mhz				
                     //To reference speed with __delay_ms() or __delay_us()

void main(){

TRIS = 0b111101;									//set GP1 as an OUTPUT

for(;;){											//loop forever
		GPIO = 0b000010;	// GP1 HIGH
		__delay_ms(500);	// 1/2 s delay
		GPIO = 0b000000;	// GP1 LOW
	}
}

__CONFIG(MCLRE_OFF & CP_OFF & WDTE_OFF & OSC_IntRC);
#define _XTAL_FREQ 4000000 // 4 Mhz

void main(){
// you have to specify which port to be out put eg: port A: TRISA = 0b11110111;
TRIS = 0b11110111; //set GP1 as an OUTPUT

for(;;){ //loop forever
// and here PORTA = 0b00001000; and 0b00001000 is for 8 bit processors
PORTA = 0b000010; // GP1 HIGH
__delay_ms(500); // 1/2 s delay
PORTA = 0b000000; // GP1 LOW
__delay_ms(500); // 1/2 s delay
}
}

Which processor are you using?

magvi is absolutely correct--you need to specify which tris you're setting, whether it be TRISA, TRISB, TRISC, etc. You can't just say "TRIS=xxxxxxxx". The processor won't know which tris to set.

Try this:

Code:
#define _XTAL_FREQ 4000000	// 4 Mhz				

void main(){

TRISA = 0b00000000;									//set PORTA as an OUTPUT

for(;;){											//loop forever
		PORTA = 0b00000010;	// PORTA HIGH
		PORTA = 0b00000000;	// PORTA LOW
	}
}

P.S. I noticed you're only mentioning 6 bits (i.e. 0b000010). Each port has 8 bits, not 6.

Last edited:
DerStrom8 and magvi. Neither suggestion has worked. I am using a Pic12F508 which from what I have read so far has only one TRIS and is accessed just like this. Do higher processors have more TRIS registers? The pic12F508 has 6 bits to work with.

wow guys, I wanted to see what would happen if i changed over to the Hi-Tec compiler instead of the Xc8 and it is working. so weird.

I think that's only for assembly lang. the prgram finally works now. i'm had to switch from the xc.h compiler to the hi-tec compiler. can't believe it was the compiler the whole time. was up till 4 am last night pulling my hair out.

I think that's only for assembly lang. the prgram finally works now. i'm had to switch from the xc.h compiler to the hi-tec compiler. can't believe it was the compiler the whole time. was up till 4 am last night pulling my hair out.

That's why it helps to read the compiler libraries. Makes things much easier and prevents this sort of issue from happening.

Glad to hear it's working, anyway! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back