Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to find an appropriate socket for an IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The appropriate socket is a PCB. I cant find how much the chip costs, but I bet it will be roughly 100 times cheaper than any socket, so just go ahead and solder it to a board.
Why do you think you need a socket? The chip doesnt look programmable, so programming it first and sticking it on a board later doesnt make sense.
If you need DIP-like pins for a breadboard or something then get an adapter board like for example https://www.proto-advantage.com/store/images/PRODUCTS/PCB3006-1_0.JPG

The appropriate socket is a PCB. I cant find how much the chip costs, but I bet it will be roughly 100 times cheaper than any socket, so just go ahead and solder it to a board.
Why do you think you need a socket? The chip doesnt look programmable, so programming it first and sticking it on a board later doesnt make sense.
If you need DIP-like pins for a breadboard or something then get an adapter board like for example https://www.proto-advantage.com/store/images/PRODUCTS/PCB3006-1_0.JPG

I'm using the chip for a school project and I want to be able to test the chip out before soldering it to anything. Considering how small the IC is and the fact that my hands are kind of shakey, soldering something that small is going to be a huge challenge that I'd rather not face if possible.

That adapter board does look interesting though. Anymore information on that that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Your BU94601KV-ZAE2 is in a VQFP64 package and the adapter you've linked to is for a VQFP64 chip so I can't see a problem apart from the price. :eek:

this is one of the many drag soldering turtorials that may help you learn to solder small smd's
. also some solder wick comes in handy also.

Considering how small the IC is and the fact that my hands are kind of shakey, soldering something that small is going to be a huge challenge that I'd rather not face if possible.

How ruining $150 socket while inserting the chip with your shaky hands would feel to you?

On the link you provided at protoadvantage note you can add a Digi-key p/n. They purchase the part and return it soldered to the adapter for the set fee.
I've used them a number of times. You can email them for adapter suggestions too. I asked, if I could modify an adapter with a knife to split a pad and was told yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back