• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to find a name of a part..

Not open for further replies.


New Member

Im looking for a electronics part, it needs to be flat but when power is supplied to it a stem(shaft) will come out, i need that stem(shaft) to come out to push something else..
Can anyone tell me the name of something like this or a link were to find one..
Attached is a drawing of how it works..

thank you..



Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Hello and welcome to ETO.

A generic name for such a thing would be "actuator".
However, I am not sure that I have ever seen anything in that sort of shape before.
Also, you do not say how big this thing is or how much force is required when the shaft is extended.



Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
Sounds like you are describing a solenoid. A spring would keep it in the open position, then with power it woudl retract. The square shape may just be a hollow cover over that mechanism as solenoids are usually round.
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles