Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to control 10 stepper motors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

geminixo

They are uni-polar (6 wires) And I need to control all 10 individually using one PIC.

I'm really good at PIC programming and I basically have most of the logic sketched down, but it's the external hardware that's giving me the problems.

I'm using the MC3479P. Everything runs well during initial testing if I use one of these chips. But if I connect two of them, one shorts and blows up in my face.

Can anyone help?

(also: what do I do if I need to power a larger stepper motor [like 1amp]? these chips only source something like .4amp)

you dont have to use this chip. there are lot of other interesting ways to control your stepper motors via 2 pic pins. you can use logic and transistors\mosfets or try to find a **** that supports bigger motors what you want...

if using logic the cost of driving a motor is mutch smaller(i think)

also how do you connect your chips. maybe you could draw a schematic for us. it makes solving a problem mutch easier you know :)

Controlling ten steppers

I can't draw a schematic as this computer doesn't have eagle. HOWEVER, has anyone ever attempted to use 2 or more of these chips on the same supply?

I find it hard to believe nobody in the field of robotics has tried to use two of these drivers in the same supply. Robots have dozens of stepper motors being powered! Has ANYONE used 2 or more of these chips...and how did you wire it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back