Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Troubleshootng Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

0x00x0

I bought a powered breadboard which is supposed to give me a regulated +5vdc 1Amp output, OR +15vdc variable / -15vdc variable output. The +5 regulated seems to work fine, but the +15/-15 is totally out of wack..

Here are my measurements with a multimeter, no load conditions:

+5 to ground = +4.96 vdc

+15 to ground = (pot turned full left) -0.16 to (pot turned full right) +14.97 vdc

-15 to ground = (pot turned full left) -14.93 to (pot turned full right)-14.93

As I turn the pot from full left toward the center, the voltage decreases until I get to the center, when it will hit -5.87 vdc, then as I continue to turn toward the right past center the voltage increases again until I am back at -14.93 vdc.

-15 to +15 = (both knobs left) 14.7 vdc. Rotatinig +15 knob to the right increases voltage until max out at 29.8 vdc. Leaving the +15 knob at max, I move to the -15 knob and begin rotating it to the right, voltage decreases until I get to the center position, at which point it is at 21.1 vdc, then continuing to the right the voltage increases until max out at 29.8 vdc.

I don't think it is supposed to function this way, though I am known to be wrong about these things :D I expect the -15 to ground to give me 0 vdc when turned left, then decrease until max at ~ -15vdc. Does anyone have an idea what may be the problem here? Voltage regulator? Possibly something else? Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
may i suggest youto post the diagram of your project, this will help us analyze the problem.

Yes, and there might be an internal adjustment to get rid of the -0.16v.

With a diagram it might be obvious that one open connection will cause your symptoms.
There are a lot more possibilities if it is a short from some point to some other point.

Last edited:
When measuring the -15 volts, be sure you observe the correct polarity with the probes of your MM.

Sounds like the pot for the -15V supply is wired wrong. Almost like they mixed up one of the legs with the wiper. The +15 and +5 supplies seem OK to me.

So you have a power supply with two terminals for +5V and 3 terminals for +15/-15V that share a ground. Is this correct?

What do you mean by OR?
"I bought a powered breadboard which is supposed to give me a regulated +5vdc 1Amp output, OR +15vdc variable / -15vdc variable output."
Is there a switch to change between the power supplies?

It doesn't sound like a ground problem. Can you provide a picture for more details?

Breadboard with built-in multi-output power supply.
Features 4 power supply binding posts, 5 Distribution strips, 3 Breadboard panels (total 2400 points), one +5VDC @ 1A supply, one 0 to +15VDC @ .5A supply, one 0 to-15VDC supply all mounted in a metal case. Includes 6ft. IEC power cord.

See above quote from the breadboard manufacturer.

They left out the current rating for the -15V supply, for some unknown reason.

If not as above- a manufacturing defect- and it worked at one time, then the first thing I would do is try to clean, with spray, the pot which didn't work well.

It is basically brand new, and has done this ever since I 1st removed it from its box. I had it for several months before I even opened it, so sending it back for replacement is not an option at this point..

+15 to ground = (pot turned full left) -0.16 to (pot turned full right) +14.97 vdc
By left you mean CCW?

-15 to ground = (pot turned full left) -14.93 to (pot turned full right)-14.93

it will hit -5.87 vdc, then as I continue to turn toward the right past center the voltage increases again until I am back at -14.93 vdc.

-15 to +15 = (both knobs left) 14.7 vdc.
You mean -14.7v?

Rotatinig +15 knob to the right increases voltage until max out at 29.8 vdc. Leaving the +15 knob at max, I move to the -15 knob and begin rotating it to the right, voltage decreases until I get to the center position, at which point it is at 21.1 vdc,
I would expect 15v + 5.87v = ~21v; so far so good.

I expect the -15 to ground to give me 0 vdc when turned left, then decrease until max at ~ -15vdc.
So do I

I assume this breadboad uses two ea. heat-sinked three terminal regulators. Can you copy the numbers off of these chips?

Your measurements were taken at no load?

From the specs, I assume the -15v is also supposed to deliver a half-amp? It's not specifically mentioned.

Please post a photo of the component side of the circuit board, and
please post the voltages [with respect to ground] on all three -15v regulator pins and
all two or three pot terminals with the -15v pot at each extreme, and at the pot setting that gives -6v.

Do you have a scope? If you do, make the measurements with a scope.

Last edited:
OK, then it probably is a manufacturing defect. I would check this first:

Sounds like the pot for the -15V supply is wired wrong. Almost like they mixed up one of the legs with the wiper. The +15 and +5 supplies seem OK to me.

Likely, noting the price, it probably uses LM317+LM337 regulators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back