Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Troubleshooting a Tanning Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy115

I know this will end up being very poorly worded as I know very little about electronics. But My friend bought a tanning bed that worked fine. (for 4 days) then just went out.
It is a 220 volt bed, and the voltage coming in is 247, there is a buck booster transformer that desreases the voltage to 220, and i measured it, its correct.
But when i plug it in the L.E.D. display on the 'timer keypad' says 88, of course but then its bright and slowly decreases and starts flashing dimmer and dimmer until it goes out.
My friend spent 200 dollars each on them electronic pieces. On the picture called 'timer', there is a red led by the bigger capacitor, that is always on. But the thing I dont know about or understand is the big box in the center with the yellow on it. I have no clue what it is. But the problem is its getting extremely hot. Like where u cant touch it? is it supposed too?
My friend said hes replaced 2 of them already cuz they burnt up?...

#1, what to do to make the bed work!?! or more trouble shooting?
#2, why would i get power and then it slowly leave.... hmmm i only think its leaving half the bed tho... cuz its only the timer keypad that goes dim.
#3, is there anyway to get money back on these pieces that he spent 200 on each?... didnt know.

Attachments

• timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 290
  • timer keypad.jpg
    timer keypad.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 252
check out with the manufacturer first. They probably have the specs displayed somewhere, and you can start from the schematics.
The box with yellow-centred filling (Mmm.. reminds me of my tummy) is a transformer. It is usually hot, but it shouldn't burn out if there isn't any defect.

Probably you can try putting a 5V DC fan to cool the transformer and see if it helps? I'm not sure if I missed anything else regarding the faulty details you mentioned.

Cheers.

from what you said i suspect there is a short circuit at the out put of the transformer, thats why it is getting too hot. do you have any experience in testing circuit boards? any tools do you have such as multimeter soldering iron etc?

there may be a zener diode on the board which may have a short circuit to dim the power and make the transofrmer to be loaded.

just trace and check, check the reading between the DC side capacitor wheather you have short circuit or not. check all power regulators if any.

Well. I am going to school for electronic engineering. So I have a 450 dollar fluke meter, and I have soldering iron and such. But what am i checking. The circuit board its self, or inside the bed. And the zener diode, are u saying that could possibly be the short....

Im not the best at troubleshooting yet. lol...

THanks for the help tho.

Hi Dannyboy,
If your mate spent $200 each on those boards take them back to where he got them and ask for a replacement. Provided you haven't modified the boards it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember you are dealing with mains AC voltage and you don't want that tannning bed turning into a human toaster.....

Regards Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back