Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trimpot help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-3-2-4

I have a 4.7k trimpot here and I took it out of the circuit. One leg to the wiper shows 4.7k and the other leg is some crazy high amount like 9-10 ohms, I assume the pot is out of range? but how does it jump high like that? Reason why I ask was because I'm making a midi controlled 3-way switch and replacing the trimpots with smaller resistors so my trimpot legs were all connected together so I'm trying to figure out what my value should be for the next resistor.. I want to say all i need is a jumper wire no resistor needed?

That pot may be a log taper. LOG tapers were generally used for volume controls. Check on a higher resistance scale. End to end and ends to wiper. What do you have end to end?

Typical pot damage is "no wiper contact" or "intermittent" contact at one spot for a carbon pot.

The Chinese trimpot has an audio taper because it is HUGE! It is the same size as an ordinary volume control (15mm).
Trimpots are usually 5mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back