Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

trigonometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

some identities.
it is true that sin(sin^-1 (x) = x
i.e if sin(sin^-1 (x)) = y
then sin^-1(y) = sin^-1(x) => x = y;

but what cos(sin^-1(x)) equals?
i.e if cos^-1(x) = sin^-1(y). what can one say about x and y?

some identities.

but what cos(sin^-1(x)) equals?
i.e if cos^-1(x) = sin^-1(y). what can one say about x and y?

Just graph it out. I don't have any paper on hand but they might not intersect. Not everything has to have a nice neat analytical answer.

Last edited:
which means i can safely say:
Code:
cos(sin^-1(x))= square root of (1 - x^2)

It depends on your purpose. If you are restricting your answer to the usual principal values where arcsin is restricted to -pi/2 to pi/2 and arccos is restricted to 0 to pi then the answer is yes. However, if you are solving a (physical) problem where the answer can lie in any quadrant then you need to include the negative possibility also.

some identities.

Hi,

What exactly are you asking here?
If sin(asin(x))=x then why would you want to state that sin(asin(x))=y , ie what are you trying to prove?

Yes, cos(asin(x))=sqrt(1-x^2).

Complex numbers allow us to go further with this too, for example when x=2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back