Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trigonometric identities : Why Sin(π+t) should equal -Sin(t) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm supposed to resolve sin(π+t) and it should equal -sin(t). I'm lost

I know that :
sin(-θ) = -sinθ

and that -sinθ = cos(θ + π/2)

...and that sin(θ+α) = sinθcosα + sinαcosθ

But honestly, I'm not able to demonstrate that sin(π+t) = -sin(t)

Can anybody help me ??
thank you so much

I'm supposed to resolve sin(π+t) and it should equal -sin(t). I'm lost

I know that :
sin(-θ) = -sinθ

and that -sinθ = cos(θ + π/2)

...and that sin(θ+α) = sinθcosα + sinαcosθ

But honestly, I'm not able to demonstrate that sin(π+t) = -sin(t)

Can anybody help me ??
thank you so much

sin(theta+pi) = sin(theta)*cos(pi)+cos(theta)*sin(pi)
sin(theta+pi) = sin(theta)*(-1) +cos(theta)*(0)
sin(theta+pi) = -sin(theta)

Ratch

sin(theta+pi) = sin(theta)*(-1) +cos(theta)*(0)
Thanks a lot for the quick answer. However, I don't know how you come up with that -1 and 0 ?
The only law i know is "cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta) = 1"

Edit: sir, I am an idiot. I overlooked what I learned previously about Pi being 180 degrees. I used the Pi function in the calculator instead of using its radian value.

However, it woke me up. Thanks a lot ;)

Never heard of a PI function. What is it?

PI is the ratio of the circumference and the diameter of a circle. A unitless number.
There are PI Radians in 180 degrees which comes from the circumference of a circle is 2*PI*r; 360 deg in 2*PI radians hence PI radians in 180 degrees.

Calculators like to power up in radians mode and don;t like to tell you what mode it's in. Always check a known value like cosine of 180 degrees. If the cos(180) is -1, your in degree mode.

I do the following : Degree * (Pi/180) = radians
Once I have the radians, I hit the "S <-> D" key of my calculator to get the Pi radian fraction and I know that Pi is always the numerator.
I know using that key is weak but it works well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back