Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triggering SCR with neon

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntee

Hi,

I came across this strobe circuit on the web and question whether the neon "NE2" is configured correctly to trigger the SCR on its gate.

**broken link removed**

Thanks

John

Attachments

• strobe.gif
    strobe.gif
    8 KB · Views: 505
johntee said:
Hi,

I came across this strobe circuit on the web and question whether the neon "NE2" is configured correctly to trigger the SCR on its gate.

**broken link removed**

Thanks

John
hi
When the voltage across NE2 reaches its breakdown voltage, the current tiggers the SCR on, this discharges the capacitor thru the high voltage trigger transformer primary winding, causing a 'flash'

Thanks Eric, wasn't sure how the neon developed the build up voltage in this circuit, other similar circuits seem to feed the neon voltage through a 1 meg resistor into a charge capacitor and then feed the other side of the neon into the SCR gate like this:-

Cheers,

John

Attachments

• strobe part.jpg
    strobe part.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 403
My numbers might off by a few... But a neon lights at around 70 volts, which also where the gas starts to conduct. The xenon needs 250-300 volts to light, plus in needs a high voltage arc to ionize a path (3 kV or so). The resistor makes sure the neon doesn't conduct, until the capcitor is charged enough to light the xenon.

Cheers Harvey, the coins dropped. Think my old gray matter needs a recharge somedays ................ today being one of those !!

Kind regards,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back