Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triggering a camera with light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnaud

Folks,
I am looking for an easy electronic circuit that close a switch. Here is what I want to do...

I would like to take pictures of lighting storm. My idea is to trig the opening of my camera when light from the storm is detected. So, I need do build a circuit that does the following :
- 1 - detect visible light
- 2 - close a switch (= the switch of my ML-L3 Nikon wireless remote control, not the switch of my camera...)

Well, this project is surely not difficult for most of you but I am not very good in electronics... I guess it takes a diode to detect the light, a transistor to amplify the output current of the diode and a electro-mechanical switch.

Thanks for your help,
Arnaud (from France!)

By the time the light has been detected and the switch actuated the lightning flash will have ended :(

Of course, by the time the light has been detected and the switch actuated the lightning flash will have ended but... I hope a second flash will come right after. The camera can be setted to stay open for some second to capture even several following flashes.

I found several "circuits controlling switches" on the web but none of them can be trigged by milisecond curent pulses coming from a photodiode.

Arnaud

About 40 years ago in an electronics magazine here was an article about this. They used a old AM radio to detect lighting. The radio, tuned to no station, produces a strong output and triggers a 555 that holds the camera open for 2 seconds.

By the time the light has been detected and the switch actuated the lightning flash will have ended :(

No!

As soon as the sensor is hit by a lightning it should trigger the camera shutter with no delay.

I have used cheap slave flashes to be activated on a master flash. The photos showed that the speed was OK and the pictures were just great.

Lightnings don't burn for a split of a second, but normally between one and several seconds.

You'll have to decide if you use either an LDR, a photo diode or a photo transistor for sensor.

Check out the datasheets to find out the most effective speed for your project.

Good luck

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back