Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

triggering a 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyjames1985

hi people, new to this site, looks great. im in need of a little help with a circuit im constructing. ive searched everywhere on the internet and cant find what im looking for. ive made a automatic motor control circuit and i want to use a light dependant resistor to trigger a 555 timer. ive tried everything i can think of. i can get it to trigger the 555 timer but stay on, i know the trigger pulse has gotta be shorter than the output. i cant find a way to do this using a ldr. any ideas??? cheers

It's very easy to trigger a 555 but a 555 takes 5 - 10 mA. But do you want to use a chip that takes 10uA.

Last edited:
Why do you want a short pulse from an LDR when you said you wanted to trigger and "hold-on" a 555.

sorry didnt mean that. i meant i needed a short trigger for the 555. currently im using an ldr to operate a transistor which triggers the 555 by taking pin 2 negative. but doing this keeps to timer triggered, which i am trying to rectify. im not making much sense i know sorry, electronics fry my brain :confused:

So each time light falls on the LDR, you want a single, short pulse out of the 555. You do not want another pulse until it goes dark, and then light again? Are you willing to use a 556 or two 555's?

Last edited:

Attachments

• Lux.jpg
    Lux.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 233
new to lt spice ??

where did you find the 555 timers. all I get is a transistor layout of 555.
and what to do to get the wave forms to show up??
I am just starting out with lt spice as well as multisim.
used TINA alot but its limited.

To get the wave forms you run a simulation, for a few seconds or whatever time frame you need, after that you just click on any spot to get a voltage graph. I think the 555 model mike is using is a behavioral model, he should be able to tell you where he got it from, I used to have it but I forgot where I got it because I don't use 555's really.

Make sure you check out the Yahoo Group LTSpice, there are a lot of useful models in there.

where did you find the 555 timers. all I get is a transistor layout of 555.
Click on the little AND gate in the Toolbar. The Symbol window opens. Normally you would choose one of the standard symbols, like an NPN. Instead, double click on [misc], which pushes down one level in the heirarchy to some miscellaneous symbols, including the NE555.

and what to do to get the wave forms to show up??

You have to choose one of several analysis methods by clicking on the "SIMULATE" menu, and selecting "EDIT SIMULATION COMMAND". I used a time-domain transient analysis. Look at the schematic, and you will see ".Tran 2" on the page. This tells LTSpice to simulate the circuit for 2 sec.

I set up the independent variable V2 (which is not a real voltage; it is just used to control the voltage dependent resistor R2 which is the light sensor. During the 2 sec simulation run, I ramp the "light level" up for the first second, and back down for the second. This creates a voltage which triggers the first 555.

During any simulation, LTSpice will display the voltage at any circuit node, the current through any component, the power dissipated by any component via a powerful waveform viewer.

Anybody that wants to get familiar with LTSpice should sign up for the Yahoo groups LTSpice Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back