Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trigger sequencer with swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniara

Hello dear members!

I have 6 independent modular drum synthesizers (808-clones), that I would like to drive with a simple trigger sequencer. The input in the drums should be a positive going pulse of about 5 V, but its not too critical. What I need is variable frequency, and also variable "swing" (ratio between first&second and second&third pulse). Pulsewidth shouldnt matter. It should be 8 steps, and 6 outputs with option to "off" independent trigger pulses. This means a matrix of 8x6 switches.

I will use a 4017 decade counter I guess, but my real question concernes the swing-function. How to achiew it? It can be global, no need for 6 different swing-settings. I'm thinking of creating a simple triangle LFO with variable skew, making it more ramp or more saw. Putting this through a window comparator with the AND output being the master clock. This way, varying skew should give me different swing, no?

As a bonus I would like to be able to divide the frequency of indipendent chanels (getting a cowbell only every 4th beat), perhaps a 4024 ripple counter or similar (this would probably cancel out the swing though)? I'm pretty novel to electronics and any input on the subject is welcome!

Welcome to the forum.

I think you need to explain what you mean by 'swing' a little more, not all of us are music bound.

The lower pulses in the picture represents "swing", wich should be free variable in my circuit. I'm not sure its the correct musical term, but it's usually labeled like that on old electric organs.

Attachments

• Swing.jpg
    Swing.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 240
Yep get it, tricky in basic logic though.
Maybe use a diode from the relavent o/p's of the 4017 through a pot to the 555 or whatever generates the clock, so that the clock speeds up or slows down on a particular o/p shifting the pulse position.

I'm not clear how the 8 steps apply here? Post #3 shows only 6 steps. What happens after step 6 and after step 8?
Looks as though a repeating 'swing' pulse train as in post #3 would be easily achievable with a CD40106 or CD 4093.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back