Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

trigerd spark gap help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstich

i am trying to build a cheap high voltage switching for a coil gun can someone help explaning sparg gaps and the trigering methods particualy the Irradiation methad thanks

i need it to be charged to the same voltage all the time and triger when it want it to usng a triger for a coil gun

You could probably use a mechanical switch. The problem with mechanical switches is that there is an arc when the switch is opened, but the voltage and current will be low in your application when the switch is opened.

Hi dstich,

i think a 'coil-gun' is a succession of coils,
arranged to energise sequentially to accelerate a
projectile (usually ferrous) to high speeds.

Rather like a linear motor in essence.

For very high current demands with high accuracy of
switching, i suppose a triggered spark gap is a
good choice, but the open air types deteriorate with
use, and may need cleaning and surface preparation
after even a single shot.

There are hydrogen types, which i know very little
about, but i think they are in low pressure hydrogen
and don't need cleaning as frequently.

If this is a one-shot deal,
there are aluminium foil types that only operate
once, like the old camera flash bulbs, again i know
little more about them, other than that they exist.

This is a curious area of study, for some reason
spark gaps and such trigger-able devices don't seem
to rate much interest.

Ive never heard of an 'Irradiation type' please tell
me what you can about it.

Best of luck with it, John :)

i was hoping to build my own simple spark gap i was wondering how you could use the Field distortion or the Irradiation tecunecs of trigering for the field destortion kechneek what could you use as a remot trigerd power source to creat a small spark and using cheap stuf and you wer right on what a coil gun is and is there a way to shut off a spark gap the page with how the field distortion and irradiation tech neek work is below
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back