Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trickle charging Li-ion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I think you meant to say: "It suggests a maximum discharge of 0.5C but this only allows 95% charge capacity..."
but i see them going up to 2C on that.
Although it does suggest a max charge rate of 0.5C too, but no data on how that limits the apparent capacity.

If you research further on Li-Ion the charge rate affects final capacity considerably, with 0.2C charge giving 100% charge, as you go higher the capacity reduces - it's swings and roundabouts, you can have either fast charging or full capacity, you can't have both.

If you research further on Li-Ion the charge rate affects final capacity considerably, with 0.2C charge giving 100% charge, as you go higher the capacity reduces - it's swings and roundabouts, you can have either fast charging or full capacity, you can't have both.

Hi,

Ok thanks.
I questioned it because that was not apparent from that data sheet.
In fact, most of the data i have seen show that charge acceptance goes up with charge current but that's for NiMH. I dont think i have yet seen data showing this for Li-ion. I would suspect that is a curve, but what shape i cant say yet. If you have more data on this it would be good to see here.

If the battery is with a 4.2 V protection board as usual, it's OK because the latter blocks any voltage > 4.3 V (Some low quality power banks make use of this thru a 0.5 Ohm resistor to USB to charge the internal batteries).
Will degrade permanently if the battery is directly exposed to 4.5 V, the self-discharge (of low capacity such as 1 Ah) is normally < 1mA, i.e., it will be eventually charged to 4.5 V. This will DECOMPOSE the ANODE (Normally CoO2) because 4.5 V exceeds the electrode potential (ANODE minus CATHODE = CoO2 minus Li).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back