Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trick My Torch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello there,

Recently i was thinking of upgrading one of my flashlights to have brighter white LEDs. I was looking around and found 26000mcd 5mm LEDs and that seemed to be the highest power that are in stock.
Did anyone here see any higher mcd rating for 5mm LEDs around anywhere? Has to be 5mm LEDs unless you know of some better LEDs that will run around 20ma and be brighter.

Thanks.

you might want to check out "candlepower forums". its devoted to hopped up and trick flashlites

Not sure if it's what you're after, but you might take a look at our very own Colin55's LED torch circuits. I built the "B" circuit, and it's amazing. Lights a super-bright LED brighter than you can on DC, using a really simple flyback step-up converter that runs on a single AA cell.

I have one of these super bright torches (I made a couple of light sabers for my son ) They have a reasonably sized LED but not the brightest.. The light comes from a special focal lens that sits on top of the LED...

Ian

Many "super-bright" LEDs are just an ordinary LED that is focussed into a very narrow angle by its case making a small dot of light. I don't think it is suitable for a flashlight (electric torch). You don't want a spotlight, you want a floodlight.

Hi again,

Joe:
Yes i'll have to check Candlepowerforums. The site was down yesterday so i couldnt get through.

carbonzit:
I didnt see any B circuit there, but im not looking for a circuit anyway im asking about different
LEDs really to find the brightest solution.

Ian:
Yeah a lense might help too, i'll have to see about that.

audio:
Yeah im not sure if i want a spot light really. One of my other lights is high powered and very
narrow beam (and i built it that way) and it works great outside at night, but this particular
light i dont want to have too narrow of a 'spot' because it would be mostly for indoors.

all:
BTW, it's a crank light that i am upgrading :)

Hi again,

Tried the other site too now and no one seems to have any clear ideas. I guess i'll have to search around and see what i can find out there.
I have quite a number of LEDs already of different power ratings but none of them are the more recent models which i assume are better by now (these are all at least 5 years old now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back