Triangulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

VintageAntiq

I've taken a few electrical engineering courses a few years back and was looking to tinker around in short distance multilateration, ie triangulation based on time differences. In high school i did a project using sonar but i guess it's fallen out of style since then because i can't find anything with that. could anyone suggest a method to triangulate and possibly some background info on the stuff i would need to make this work?

Triangulation is based on simple (well, simple to my teachers) trigenometry. What are you stuck on?

Last edited:
what type of hardware would i need to make one which can pinpoint an object along x, y, z axis? in terms of signal transmitters and receivers? i can do all the coding im just not sure what the best equipment is for

Hook a GPS receiver with data output to modulation input of a transmitter. On remote site, receive and demodulate GPS data sent by transmit.

you would need a relatively high directional antenna to be able to sweep relative signal strength with decent accuracy. probably a N element yagi or log periodic for instance.

the receivers and transmitters could vary. probably VHF-UHF band you get long wavelengths and good receive power.

Last edited:
To use old standard DF methods, you would need to have two RX units at a known distance apart in order to triangulate Triangulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia U have seen switcheed phase arrays antenna setups, but this is real complicated. Using dual RX would only give direction and not distance unless you planned on using a pulsed transmitt and measured time delay between the two RX units. Why go through all the mess when you can just use GPS technology?

Last edited:

Becoz gps doesnt operate indoors!

Becoz gps doesnt operate indoors!
Indoors? Well, why was I not sent a memo on this spec requirement?
You have not really explained what your trying to do. Unless it is your top secret project, a little info would help.

Last edited:
My guess is he wants to track articles or people by tagging them with a beacon. Or do the reverse and make a machine that can navigate itself through buildings GPS can't penetrate.

In any case, by multilaterating, you time the interval it takes for a signal to go from a transmitter to a receiver. It's a Time Difference of Arrival (TDOA) method, and as long as you have 4 signals to time, you can calculate those 4 distances and locate the object on a 3D map. Four receivers and 1 transmitter, or vice versa.

...So as you'd imagine, multilateration shifts all the design complexity from angle measurement to time measurement. Since radio only takes around 3ns to travel 1 meter, the transmitter and receivers have to be calibrated and synchronized with nanosecond accuracy. As for devices that already use this: there are a few. One uses a wideband RF pulse for timing. Seoul National University has been using something called a Pseudolite system to get centimeter accuracy. WiFi is about to incorporate a function to locate WiFi equipment based on signal strength, but to much less accuracy.

Thats correct. In fact that was my senior design project back at Purdue. although I did not use time domain reflectometry. I used intersecting sectors and measurements from different positions to close off an area that yields the propable location of the Tx/beacon. You can use the relative signal strength to pinpoint an objects location. a high directional antenna would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…