Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

triangular wave generator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictham83

For this circuit, if i try to amke the oscillator operate at 20kHz and the output swing btw +/-5V where the output current i want to be below 100mA with the resistor value >1MOhms is undesirable. How can i calculate:
i). Ri and C1?
ii). minimun working voltageof capacitor
iii).ratio of R1 to R2 to make the comparator swing when the v1 is +/-0.5Vcc

Can anyone teach me how to calculate this as this is one of the question in my past exam paper.

Attachments

• triangular oscillator.GIF
    triangular oscillator.GIF
    6.9 KB · Views: 198
erictham83 said:
For this circuit, if i try to amke the oscillator operate at 20kHz and the output swing btw +/-5V where the output current i want to be below 100mA with the resistor value >1MOhms is undesirable. How can i calculate:
i). Ri and C1?
ii). minimun working voltageof capacitor
iii).ratio of R1 to R2 to make the comparator swing when the v1 is +/-0.5Vcc

Can anyone teach me how to calculate this as this is one of the question in my past exam paper.
Your questions are not clear.
If the output is +/-5V, does that mean that VCC=10V?
What is the 100mA output current referring to?
Does the comparator output swing from +vcc to -vcc?

Sorry maybe i not mention clearly. The oscillator is operates at 20kHz and the output wave is swing between +/-5V.
and given that the op-amps operate best with output currents below 100mA.
The resistor value >1MOhms is undesirable.

This is all the information i get from the question.

You said, "output swing btw ±5V" and " v1 is ±0.5Vcc".
I conclude that this means vcc=10V.
Arbitrarily set Ri=10k.
VN=0 (Do you understand the concept of "virtual ground"?)
Do you understand that, in an op amp, input current≈0? (This is important.)
If you assume the comparator output swings rail-to-rail (±10V), then I(Ri)=I(C)=±10V/10k=±1mA.
Since you want F=20kHz, and T=1/F=50usec, then T/2=25usec.
A capacitor charging at a constant current charges at the rate dv/dt=I/C, or C=It/V. We know that we want the cap to go from -5V to +5V in 25usec, so C=1mA*25usec/10V. Therefore C=2.5nF.
The comparator will switch each time its input voltage reaches zero volts. When the comparator output is +10V, V1 is going negative. When it reaches -5V, the comparator input must be zero volts. Therefore, R2/R1=2.

Last edited:
Ya, i understand the concept of virtual ground. and thank Ron_H...u give a great explanation and i had understand it now. Thanks again for urs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back