Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triacs & Tribulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidi

OK so the deal is that I'm about 99% finished with this design for a 3Φ, shunt type, TCR Static Var Compensator. The theory here is that I've got an inductive load; placed in parallel with that I've got a compensating unit. Inside the unit I've got a compensating capacitor in parallel with an inductor. The inductor does not conduct all the time, it is controlled by a TRIAC, which receives it's gating signal from an opto-isolator. The gate pulses cause the inductor to conduct for only portions of each cycle, thereby absorbing a certain amount of complex power back off of the compensating capacitor, causing a tunable, net output from the unit that is easily varied for a range of load types and power factor values. I'm running the whole show with an Arduino, based on a six case phase shifted firing sequence, which is chosen depending on the amount of delay time required for a gate signal to phase A.

Logic testing confirms that the whole shebang, up to the output from the isolators, is working like a dream. I'm developing my firing angle correctly, the pulse outputs from the opto-isolators are correct and coherent with those generated by the controller. The controller is correctly timed to the mains voltage. It reads a zero crossing, and then implements the correct delay to fire the TRIAC.

This is where the problem happens: with no connections to the output from the opto-isolator, the output voltage can be seen on the scope to be correct. However, once I connect the opto-isolator (as shown in the attached diagram) everything goes to hell. The scope reads hideous, broken, 20V peak sign waves across the gate terminal and absolutely nothing seems to be happening as far as conduction through the TRIAC. I tested this by using a light as the load on the TRIAC branch. Not a thing. If anyone has any ideas or could point me to a circuit type I should be using, I would really appreciate it.

As an addendum. I have already tried a different version of this circuit that involves running the gate lead from the collector of the isolator, as opposed to the emitter, but this situation led to an extensive DC bleed onto the gate of the TRIAC, so I abandoned that format. The circuit was the same in that case as in my diagram, except that the resistor on the isolator was in the collector branch of the isolator and the TRIAC gate was connected directly to the collector.

Thanks ahead and happy Spring Holiday :)

Attachments

• vidi-albums-circuits-picture52734-opto-triac.png
    vidi-albums-circuits-picture52734-opto-triac.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 496
I think you want pin 3 to the top of the triac and not 5 volts.

Last edited:
I really hadn't even thought of that. What powers the transistor then? Does it just get it's power from the internal LED?

Theory says theory and reality are the same but reality rarely agrees. :eek:

This is the #1 reason I don't use simulators on things I build. They are wonderful for drawing schematics but thats as far as I will ever use or trust them. ;)

For what its worth you need to replace the opto transistor device with an opto triac.

Last edited:
I'm willing to try any approach at this point. So you think something like the MOC3023 or equivalent is the way to go? That being the case, how would I hook it up to drive my BTA08-600B? Do I run a voltage across the internal thyristor of the MOC3023 and take MT2 out to the gate of the BTA08?

Oh, um, also: This is not a simulation that I am using to check this stuff. I have the actual circuits hooked up on a lab bench and I am scoping the input versus the output at each stage.

Last edited:
I was working on an Triac controlled powersupply for my Tesla coil at school a few years back. I was controlling the Triac gate through a 50ft fiber optic cable. I had the controller plugged into one bench to get the zero crossing ref., and the triac connected at the next bench. At zero firing angle, the triac would still conduct. After some troubleshooting, turns out the lab benches were on two different phases of the 3ph feed.

Sounds like you have a different issue, but something to keep in mind.

@ moffy, thanks for the link. I'll have to give that a good read this afternoon. I believe the BTA08 is capable of reverse conduction with positive gate voltage, but I'll reconfirm that as well since you bring it up.

@ jrz126, thanks for the advice there :) I've had that issue before sadly, and have confirmed that my variable power supply for the input wave and the regular line are in phase with one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back