Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

treadmill motor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pike25lb

Hi all iam new here and iam not sure if this is the rite site to post this but il give it a go and hope you can help

i have a treadmill the electrics dont work but the motor does its DC 180V motor
iam going to convert it for my dogs to exersize on it
the motor works fine i had it tested
what i want to know is i need a AC---DC converter witch type and i need to controll the speed of the motor so i dont want it flat out
any help would be great thanks.

You need a 180VDC adjustable power supply with sufficient current to power the motor.

Do you know how much current it takes?

What is your AC voltage?

H.p. 2.5
rpm 4000
rotation cw
volts 180
amp 8.5

my ac voltage is just my mains socket
i was just told i need a ac to dc converter i got a bench power supply but that only goes up to 30v that hardleys turns motor

so i need to power motor and controll the speed with something thanks

And what is the mains voltage? I don't know where you live so I don't know whether you have 120 or 240 AC.

The simplest would likely be a 10A 240V variac connected to a 10A bridge rectifier. The motor may work directly off the rectified DC without filtering, you'd have to try it to see.

You'd have to limit the rotation of the variac so that it wouldn't exceed the 180V rating of the motor.

You may be able to find a used variac on Ebay.

A possible alternate would be a 10A SCR/TRIAC light dimmer circuit connected to the bridge. You'd have to try that to see how well it worked. Again you'd need to limit the rotation to not exceed the motor voltage rating.

Last edited:
hi iv found this itm on ebay is this any good
number 350307916136 thanks,
That item is a 2A variac. You need one that has at least an 8A to 10A capacity such as **broken link removed**.

Why don't the "electrics" work? It will be much easier looking into the original circuit and seeing why has been damaged, rather than starting to re-invent the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back