Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Travel immmersion water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi
i bought a travel immersion water for home improvement project.I am going to use the immersion heater for heating air within a 4FT*4FT*2FT enclosure.The heater will heat the enclosure to about 38 degree celsius(100 fahrenheit) and be controlled with ranco 111000 thermostat.
Will the heater give any problems when it is used without water? Would it explode?The picture of the heater is at available through the following link:**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I don't think these things like to be operated out of liquid. They depend on conduction to transfer heat. While they probably won't explode, they won't do a very good job of heating air. Get a heater intended for air. (You need a much larger surface area to heat air.)

Your link 404's. I'd imagine that the heater would be designed so that when someone forgot about it being in a cup of water, the water could boil dry and the heater would be exposed to air. Something would have to reduce the power consumption or shut the power off completely (probably a simple thermostat). Thus, my guess is that the thing probably won't work in air.

But there are plenty of small heaters available, so it shouldn't be hard to find something appropriate. You could even use an incandescent light bulb or two, as they're pretty efficient at turning electrical energy into heat.

Not a good idea there kwame. I strongly agree with Carbonzit on this one. Heating elements designed for immersion are designed for the heat generated to be removed at a certain rate, that same rate will not happen with air as the medium. Without any load and internal element over temperature the element will just cook.

Ron

Hi kwame,

you might use an immersion water heater to boil water in the first place.

You might use it to fry a chicken in the second place.

Nothing will explode but you might set something on fire.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back