Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transparent plastic detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonel

hi. I'm trying to build a transparent (at the beginning my plastic was black) plastic detector, but it doesn't work with emmiter / receiver neither with an electromagnetic solution. Does anybody has an ideia how to build it?

leonel said:
hi. I'm trying to build a transparent (at the beginning my plastic was black) plastic detector, but it doesn't work with emmiter / receiver neither with an electromagnetic solution. Does anybody has an ideia how to build it?
You need to think about the fact that you know what you are trying to do, and we don't. Try to put yourself in the mind of someone who has never heard of your problem. We don't know how far away it is, how thick it is, how big it is, etc. You need to provide much more information.

Isn't it obvious? Use sonar and not optical. Optical doesn't work with all plastics either...Just because you can't see through it doesn't mean that it won't be transparent to UV, IR, or some other wavelength of EMR! And just because you can see through it doesn't mean that it's opaque to UV, IR, or some other wavelength of EMR as well! But sonar? Sonar always work.

Last edited:
You might be able to use a reflective optical (IR or visible) sensor of some sort instead of an interrupter-type setup...
Jeff

The plastic has some index of refraction. Don't point the emitter and sensor directly at one another, when the plastic enters between them it will bend the beam. (If everything is in the right places.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back