Transmitter without a battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
In the recent thread about implanted devices, someone stated that a transmitter needs a battery. I was surprised to find out this was not true.
In 1945 a listening device was installed in a wooden seal installed in the USA's Russian Embassy.
It has no battery, no electronics and was only detected when someone (A radio operator) picked up the transmission from it.
A fascinating device - read all about it here.

Mike.

If I remember that incident correctly, it had RF beamed at it, as a power source.
So, "Coupled" power from an external source, which I did mention.

No magic.

In the documentary I saw about it, they likened it to a half full wine glass that can be made to resonate by rubbing a finger around the edge.
If I remember that incident correctly,

Can you really remember that far back?

Mike.

I certainly remember of it - although it was long before my time.

As I recall the Americans suspected the Russians were beaming high power RF at them, in order to make them ill - eventually it was realised that they were either powering, or recharging, bugs inside the building.

I also seem to recall that one of the bugs was a copy of the American 'seal' (whatever that was - but a big round wooden thing), which had been presented to the Americans and had a passive externally powered bug inside.

But basically it's all just RFID

In the documentary I saw about it, they likened it to a half full wine glass that can be made to resonate by rubbing a finger around the edge.
Sounds like an analogy for a resonant LC tank circuit. There'd be another "wine glass" for transmitting the audio on a different frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…