Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transmit 2MHz using a class E amp (Radio Freq)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuickStrike

I just want to establish a link to transmit 2MHz to receiver side using a class E amp.

I build the class E amp and I have put a 2MHz squarewave signal from the signal generator into Vin and I'm getting good oscillation at Vo, however this does not mean that my amp is operating under the class e conditions.

How can I check using the oscilloscope if my amp is a class e amp?, i.e. at which nodes of the circuit do I look at using the oscilloscope?

The Lo is the coil or antenna.

Attachments

• class_e.jpg
    class_e.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 983
QuickStrike said:
I just want to establish a link to transmit 2MHz to receiver side using a class E amp.

What is class E?.

Class A is biased in the middle of it's operating range.

Class B is biased so the device is just at the threashold of conduction.

Class C is either not biased at all, or biased hard OFF.

Class D is PWM switching, not 'really' a bias class at all, usually they would run as switching devices biased in class C.

RF power amplifiers are mostly class C, and your diagram looks to be like that?, although you don't show any components that actually set the bias conditions?.

Sorry I always get confused when the term "bias" is used, I don't know what u mean, but if u want to know what I'm trying to do go here :

http://baby.indstate.edu/isb/publications/15th_isob_proceedings/7/7.htm

Read : "Driver design" for info on class E amplifier
Read the title: "Power Link and Internal Power Unit" to see what I'm trying to do.
Look at figure 3

Also u can go here: **broken link removed**

And click on figure 8, that is exactly what I’m trying to do, however I don't know how to implement that feedback in practice, where it says "Feedback current sense" and the inverter connected to the mosfet. So I thought about using a signal from the signal generator, but when I do that I don't know if that class E will still be a class E amplifier (i.e have the properties of a class E amplifier) if I use the signal from the signal generator.

QuickStrike said:
Sorry I always get confused when the term "bias" is used, I don't know what u mean, but if u want to know what I'm trying to do go here :

http://baby.indstate.edu/isb/publications/15th_isob_proceedings/7/7.htm

Read : "Driver design" for info on class E amplifier
Read the title: "Power Link and Internal Power Unit" to see what I'm trying to do.
Look at figure 3

Also u can go here: **broken link removed**

And click on figure 8, that is exactly what I’m trying to do, however I don't know how to implement that feedback in practice, where it says "Feedback current sense" and the inverter connected to the mosfet. So I thought about using a signal from the signal generator, but when I do that I don't know if that class E will still be a class E amplifier (i.e have the properties of a class E amplifier) if I use the signal from the signal generator.

Unfortunately I don't get any pictures from www.iit.edu, so don't really know what they are on about - but it appears to be just a switching transistor? - either turned hard ON or hard OFF. But i notice it says the IIT have patents, have you tried looking up the patents?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back