Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transmission with lab equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, just wondering... If i connect a function generator to a piece of wire that acts as an antenna, and then i connect another piece of wire to an oscillator to use as a receiver, will the oscillator be able to detect the signal from the function generator like in normal RF transmission?

I tried it before but it seems like it doesn't work, even when the wires are only milimetres apart.

Function generator ---- air ---- oscillator (why oscillator doesn't detect?)

An oscillator can't detect anything, it's a generator of signals, not a receiver of them. A Function Generator and an Oscillator are slight variations of the same thing.

I also doubt sticking an aerial on a Function Generator is going to achieve anything anyway!.

As Nigel said, an oscillator will not receive anything. Almost all receivers have oscillators in them, but that is another story.

If you want to listen to your oscillator or function generator, use an ordinary radio.
Tune it to a clear frequency, lets say 700kHz.
Tune the oscillator to 700kHz, you should be able to hear the oscillator.
Try the same thing with your function generator, it should sound the same as the oscillator.
Now listen to the oscillator and the function generator at the same time, what do you hear?

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back