Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transmission lines and normal wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakkis

Hi,
I was reading about the transmission lines : **broken link removed**
The effects mentioned here : capacitance and inductance developed with electron flow must also apply to normal wires. Am i right ? Now, how does this work on the PCBs ? The current flowing on the metal contacts at the IC etch point in any PCB should act like a inductance and thus develop magnetic field which in turn should interfere with the any adjacent pins.
I dont know if am making any sense, but if somebody understands my questions kindly answer.

This is why there are design engineers....You cant just chuck some parts onto a PCB and expect them to work.. Take stripboard and breadboard for instance... If you want a small embedded processor running an Ethernet connection and high speed USB...You wouldn't favour building it on those platforms...It would be very troublesome.... You cant place certain components next to each other.. I mean... a 20mhz crystal next to a transistor operating a relay for instance.... It takes some experience to layout a decent PCB.

Does this answer your query

Same. Once the length of the connection is 1/10th the wavelength of the frequency being used, you'd have to consider transmission line theory in designing the connections whether it be wires or copper traces. Generally, the rules are straightforward but they get worse the higher the frequency you use. A simplest approach is to use point to point direct wiring underneath a very large ground plane: dead bug style design. Good to about 1 GHz. Most important, no 90 deg curves, the closer it is the worse. For more details see High-Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black Magic by Johnson.

Both the capacitance (to ground) and inductance of PCB traces, as well as capacitive and inductive coupling between traces, must be accounted for in PCB design for high speed signals, both analog and digital. And, for example, even if the basic signal speeds on a digital PCB are low you still must take into consideration the high speed transition edges of the digital signals, which can cause problems in adjacent traces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back