Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transitioning to Lead Free Soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

I thought I'd start this and share my experiences. Perhaps it will encourage/help others.

Lead/Tin soldering is easier than Lead free because of the higher Lead free melting point and lower 'wetting' of the solder alloy. Plus the good final joint in Lead free often looks like a cold solder joint in Lead/tin soldering.

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Keep the solder tip CLEAN....or heat transfer suffers and u need real HEAT (+ 221 C) for lead free.

2) U can use lead free soldering on older leaded joints, just desolder the old joint with wick.

3) U can clean/rinse/dilute a solder tip of Lead by wetting with lead free and wiping clean 3 times over.

4) To maintain a solder 'wet' iron tip, power it down, then immediately apply lead free solder with a thick wire....1 mm or more, a good thick coat and leave to cool.
Upon next usage don't clean the tip until it's fully hot and you are ready to start soldering. Then wipe on the damp sponge....it'll be perfectly clean and wettable.

5) Keep the thick 1mm + solder on hand, rosin core, to tin the iron tip, thin solder wire does not have enough flux to do a good job on an oxidized tip.

6) After etching a board and removing the resist, coat with a rub of petroleum jelly to keep it oxide free for longer. Especially if your soldering will last a number of sessions. If u have Tinit u can use that. The jellycoat 'withdraws' as u solder.

7) For SMD parts u can quickly whip up solder paste using the lumps of solder derived from tinning the iron. Just remelt them on a piece of alum. foil with a thick tip on a hot iron. Once U get a coin sized piece, file it down on an iron file to make powder. Add about 30% by volume of rosin flux paste and blend together with a flat tip screwdriver. That fresh paste works well...no balling, and is great for manual application with a toothpick etc. Grinding with dremel tools tends to produce fine shards as opposed to a powder. Don't do it with Lead solder....the powder is a hazard.

8) Because of the higher heat required to desolder, I have found desoldering wick to be a better way to go as opposed to a desolder pump. No 2nd attempts required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back